Thread: Theoben Imperator SLR88.

Question Theoben Imperator SLR88.

I was lucky enough to purchase an SLR 88 last night. It was love at first sight I'm affraid. The gun looked as though it had been vacum sealed for the past 17 years, or so. The quality of workmanship, and finish of this gun must be second to none. French walnut stock with stunning grain, and the richest, deepest bluing that I've ever seen.
    Just one thing puzzles me slightly, and that is a very faint reddish brown coloured band, about 4mm wide that is in the bluing about 2mm in front of the breech, running from one side of the chamber to the other. Is this slight discolour to do with the dipping process, or is it there for a reason?
    Last edited by Scottyboy; 24-03-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Worry ye Not!! That's as it should be on the first series of SLR88 It's a different grade of steel that was used when the rifle was made and the blueing has just taken to it in that hue. I'm sure there is a more technical explanation, but it's exactly as it should be. Enjoy the finest from Theoben

theoben gas rams

i have every gas ram they made some of mine have the band just back of the breach dont worry no problems

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I have a Sirocco GP that has what sounds like the very same purplish tinge to the bluing in the band at the front of the cylinder.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Its the mark of class. Finest Theoben made. How much did you pay? Mine cost me a mint (most I've ever paid for a rifle, but worth it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Its the mark of class. Finest Theoben made. How much did you pay? Mine cost me a mint (most I've ever paid for a rifle, but worth it!)
    Thanks for the replies lads. This one has only fired about 50 pellets from new, and I've put 40 of those though The chequering looks like its just been cut. It's truley mint, and it came with a Hakko MKV111 4 x 40 electro-dot sniper scope on top, 5 new mags, 4 tins of pellets, a quality slip, and the vendor even threw in a Relum tornado, a chinese under lever with 2 more slips for the princely sum of.....wait for it..a monkey

A monkey=£500 I don't normally show off, but you did ask.

The SLR88 is a nice gun, I prefer it to the new SLR98, they are collectable especially the FT .177 variant and the Ultra-Carbine as very few were made.

The standard .22 version with a Grand Prix stock although not as rare is also very nice. 500 quid is not a bad price for a very nice example.

What would be very rare (and I do not know if it exists!) is a .177 HE Ultra Carbine! Has anyone seen one?

Well done; mint and its a bargan, and then you got the scope, mags and extras too I paid quite a bit more for my mint rifle only.

Used ones are nearer the monkey mark and well used under. Just as a gun they have a high value being so well put together. They are all still out there somewhere so I would think the value will not shoot up but should keep pace with any best guns made tomorrow. Selling high cost guns is not easy as not every collector has that sort of cash. Selling can sometimes take weeks/months when maxing out the price; so you didn't rob the seller even though you got a good deal.

Good aren't they.

I'm well happy with my buy ,and when I sell the 2 plinkers that came with it, that'll make the Imperator a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    I'm well happy with my buy ,and when I sell the 2 plinkers that came with it, that'll make the Imperator a bargain
    Well done mate, shame it isn't .177, if it was it would be worth twice as much!