Thread: Air rifles: Oldest, rarest and most expensive.

Air rifles: Oldest, rarest and most expensive.

Just as a matter of interest, what are the most expensive collectible airguns, which are the most sought after, and which are the rarest?

I saw a really old airgun last year from the turn of the 20th century in an auction house, only for a couple of hundred quid. It was incredibly long, and quite heavy, but seemed to be in good working order and looked like the metalwork was sound too. I think it was BSA, but I could be wrong, but I would have thought it would have been worth a lot more.

Thos is purely to get an idea of what is around, I don't own any ancient guns although I did find an old Webley Vulcan in the attic when I moved in to this house!
    Rapid Mark I .22

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    The Gerradinis (think thats how you spell it) from the 17th Century. Beautiful looking rifles and styled on the top quality matchlock or flintlock rifles of their day . Usually come up at auction only, and go for anything from £3000 to £9000 (and maybe even more -- I'll take two please ). ATB: Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Up date for you. Knew there had been a post on this topic in the past, so have just gone to BBS archive (see my sticky at the top of this page) and found this (click on link below ). Hope it helps: GWB.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    The Gerradini (think thats how you spell it) from the 17th Century.
    ... Yep, I was wrong. Not Gerradini but Girandoni. ATB (again): GWB

Quote Originally Posted by spamel View Post
    I don't own any ancient guns although I did find an old Webley Vulcan in the attic when I moved in to this house!
    It is a well known fact that most attics in Britain contain a Webley Vulcan.

The 1700s!!! Wow!! That was a bit earlier than I thought. And a half inch calibre at 200 ft lbs is woahhhh!!

"Alright love, just taking my three hundred year old air rifle out for a spot of elephant hunting! See you later!"

Rapid Mark I .22

Quote Originally Posted by spamel View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, what are the most expensive collectible airguns, which are the most sought after, and which are the rarest?
    The world's most valuable airguns are probably the 17th and 18th century PCPs, e.g. this one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Now, that looks nice! I wouldn't mind one for the looks alone. The price tag is a bit scary though!
    Rapid Mark I .22

redvan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter59 View Post
    It is a well known fact that most attics in Britain contain a Webley Vulcan.

Along with a tin of Milbro Caledonian pellets

A Break Barrel Rapid 7.

World's most expensive airgun ever is the Lewis & Clark Girandoni, that Dr Beeman has in his collection. When he first purchased it, he didnt know it was the Lewis and Clark girandoni (and he actually bought it at a very low price), but later on, strong evidence came up, suggesting that the Girandoni that Beeman has in his collection is actually the one and only Girandoni used by Lewis & Clark in their expedition. The gun now worths a few million dollars, according to what I've read..

Quote Originally Posted by Vince11 View Post
    World's most expensive airgun ever is the Lewis & Clark Girandoni, that Dr Beeman has in his collection. When he first purchased it, he didnt know it was the Lewis and Clark girandoni (and he actually bought it at a very low price), but later on, strong evidence came up, suggesting that the Girandoni that Beeman has in his collection is actually the one and only Girandoni used by Lewis & Clark in their expedition. The gun now worths a few million dollars, according to what I've read..
    I've read a couple of things by people who seem to know their stuff that dispute Beeman's claim to have the L&C rifle. He's certainly spent a lot of money trying to prove he has that actual gun....... and when Dr Beeman wants something badly enough he tends to get it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Unique Bsf

The rarest rifle must be I.J.'s BSF 65?

And the Mach 1 rifles made by Venom must be pretty rare seeing as they were made individually to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The rarest rifle must be I.J.'s BSF 65?
    My quest for info on this BSF rifle continues. I have been in contact with a fellow BSF collector in Sweden (thanks Andy) who has never heard of a model 65.

A request for information on the American Vintage Airguns site has, as yet, provided no luck.

Another one-off that I am seeking info on is the Webley Omega which was factory fitted with a gas ram (NOT a gas strut). I have wrote to Theoben asking if they have and info on this individual rifle.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk