Thread: Help needed with BSF S54.

Help needed with BSF S54.

Hi all,

I've recently aquired a S54 air rifle after the nice Webley sidelever I wanted was no longer available.

But information on this model is hard to find on the Internet, so I'm guessing it wasn't a very popular model.

Anyway, does anyone have an exploded view diagram, service manual or even advice and suggestions of what I should know about it? I've had breakbarrels previously.

Also, how does it come apart?

It has one slight problem - the rails seem to point slightly to the left. Can this be adjusted?

Thanks
    David

Maybe THIS especially post # 26 will be of help. You could always contact BSF NUT for further details.

As far as I am aware the 54 comes apart in a similar way to the BSF break barrel rifles (Ive never stripped either of my 54s) in that once the lug underneath (in front of the trigger) is undone the scope rail moves backwards on a key way ( only one slotted screw retains this) at the same time. I would strongly recommend a spring compressor until you know the amount of pre-load.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Maybe THIS especially post # 26 will be of help. You could always contact BSF NUT for further details.

As far as I am aware the 54 comes apart in a similar way to the BSF break barrel rifles (Ive never stripped either of my 54s) in that once the lug underneath (in front of the trigger) is undone the scope rail moves backwards on a key way ( only one slotted screw retains this) at the same time. I would strongly recommend a spring compressor until you know the amount of pre-load.

HTH
    Ian
    you can take the end (trigger) block off without a compressor though as another pin holts the (mighty) main spring in THEN YOU WILL NEED ONEdo make sure though that the trigger block is allowed to move back with the scope rail and same in reverse they go on and off together (once you have done it it will become apparent) the trigger spring is behind the knurled end cap . think thats it really

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the responses... So I take it that the scope rails slide back with the trigger mechanism? Somewhere I read there is a trick to it, so wondered if there was something else.

The preload you mention has me worried.

I've never seen an air rifle spring compressor before... Just how would you compress such as spring? (Just googled it... OK, now I understand... I had mental visions of something grabbing the spring through the cocking slot.)

I'll have to build myself a spring compressor then.

Any idea of just how much tension there might be?

I've left a long and rambling message for BSFNUT on another forum, but haven't heard back from him, so I'm not sure if he's read it ( or he might be too busy even if he has ).

hi mate

if you have access to a lathe you can put the gun in the chuck and with a bar in the tool post simply compress the spring by winding the bed in . or on a milling m/c put the rifle in a vice. you can also use a sash cramp to compress the spring the preload varies BSFs and FWBs seem to have the most. if you are going to strip a lot of guns you could buy or even make a spring compressor but a bit of experiment usually finds a easier cheaper way