Thread: Webley Osprey

Webley Osprey

Hi Chaps,
    I was wondering if anyone else had experienced innaccuracy with a .22 Webley Osprey? I bought the gun from Sykes in Penrith and I am very pleased with it. Cosmetically the metalwork and action look in very good condition-even mint, my only problem is that I get stray shots! Two shots will hit the bull only for the next two or three to go up to 2 inches off target? I feel that the action may have had some work but at the moment this rifle is the equivelant of a trophy wife...good to look at etc...

Red face not just

Quote Originally Posted by Ulverston View Post
    Hi Chaps,
    I was wondering if anyone else had experienced innaccuracy with a .22 Webley Osprey? I bought the gun from Sykes in Penrith and I am very pleased with it. Cosmetically the metalwork and action look in very good condition-even mint, my only problem is that I get stray shots! Two shots will hit the bull only for the next two or three to go up to 2 inches off target? I feel that the action may have had some work but at the moment this rifle is the equivelant of a trophy wife...good to look at etc...
    a webley osprey all tap loaders are the same (and i have had loads )we now have good telescopic sights and also lots of things to compare them with ,they look good but i would never shoot at something that i really needed to hit either in a competition or for humane reasons with a tap loader .

you could go to the effort of shooting a target session over a chrono and seeing if the shots that wander are higher / lower FPS than your standard range to rule that problem out.

other things to check are the barrels crown, any seals etc. around the barrel, breach and in the cylinder and give the barrel a little tug to see if it is loose.

it sounds rather similar to the problem i was having with a qb78, replaced the barrelband and it sorted the problem.

good luck!

Thanks chaps,
    I feel that it could be any one of the problems that you mention but I have the unsettling feeling that the problem lies with the gun being a tap loader...i have never had one before-though all my richer mates had the Tracker I never used one...things must have moved on! I will try the chrono to see what power its putting out.
    On the up side it looks great!

with the accuracy a 200 quid 2nd hand pcp can give you, or even a 2nd hand hw or decent bsa springer then the osprey simply becomes a hobbyists gun.

they are now, unfortunately merely for entertainment in most situations although, i am sure many of us on here would still do some close range bunny's or rats with one on open sights!

I couldnt agree more, maybe I will consider a PCP as my next major purchase? Thanks for the advice I will certainly be asking around on here before I buy a PCP though!

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

osprey

Got one of these a bit back----dead accurate--Took down for nephew to try and it started to fly. Closer examination revealed foresight had moved. I removed it and barely touched the hole the grub screw locates in with a small drill as they sometimes spread if the sights have moved and the screw is not relocated properly. Took gun back to nephew who said it sounded like a crossbow (webley twang)--Told him to just shoot and look at group. He was impressed. If the action is not moving in the stock then are the flyers going up and down,side to side or all over? If its just up and down then that may be variation in power(is it dieseling?). Is it going to the same side? Id try and clean the barrel and if all else fails try and touch the end of the barrel with a countersink.
    Ive got similar problem with bsa cadet and tried simple stuff( had to solder foresight in place) and I now think that there is some corrosion about 1/2 inch from end of barrel. Im going to try a wire cleaning brush before going for the more drastic action of drilling and trying to counterbore the barrel. Good luck

Hi,
    the shots are going to the right...I am using a scope, its driving me nuts because otherwise the rifle shoots very well. The rifle is clean and in good condition so there is no explanation other than it being rebuilt?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

osprey

Let someone else try the rifle to make sure it isnt you. If it is the rifle, check the sights are not creeping or turning in their mounts and the stock screws are tight and the holes in the stock are not worn. Had a thought! Is the metal locating thing actually in the stock? (if you remove stock there should be a short lump of metal just behind the front stock screw I think) I assume this helps to locate the action. If all this fails, try to counter sink the end of the barrel or let a gun shop see if it needs doing. It shouldnt be very dear to get done. On the bright side,if the flyers all go to the right,at least you have got something to work on. Good fault finding

Thanks for the info,
    on the positive side of things Ive discovered there is a lot more could go wrong with a rifle/sight than I thought possible! A steep learning curve.. I checked the scope was tight and it seems fine, it could be me pulling on the trigger too hard? Tempted to put it up for a swap on here for a Gamo shadow/cfx/sport etc so that my son can use it! He currently has a little Beeman-to add insult to this Osprey injury he shoots it off a pile of cushions and gets better groups than I can!!!

...it could be me pulling on the trigger too hard?
    Go through the motions of taking a shot with the rifle unloaded and uncocked, and watch the target through the scope as you pull the trigger. You'll soon see whether you're pulling the rifle off target.

It might also be worth trying a different scope on the Osprey if you can.

Thanks again,
    I have noticed a tendancy for the rifle to travel right when I pull the trigger, more so than on my other rifles-maybe I will have to work on this.

Thanks again,
    I have noticed a tendancy for the rifle to travel right when I pull the trigger, more so than on my other rifles-maybe I will have to work on this.
    get a two stage trigger from chambers if you think thats the problem .i have done this mod and it does make a big difference

Succes!!!
    as advised I had a look at the scope which had crept backwards! Took the scope off and shot through open sights with no problems other than my technique!

If anyone would like to swap this rifle for a gamo (my eldest son wants to come shooting with us) I can email you pictures of this testing beauty. Any full power Gamo would do as long as it looks half decent and works.

Thanks in advance.