Thread: Webley pistol power???

Question Webley pistol power???

Hi all ive tested my webley pistols on the chronograph today,
    1,Tempest .177
    2,Senior .177
    3,MK1 .22
    4,Premier mk1 .177
    and there all doing around 2.5ftlbs-2.8ftlbs all the pistols listed are in near mint condition and not shot many pellets, is this about right or are they a little under powered, thanks for any advise given, ATB Andy

Webley power

Manufacturer's quote around 420fps for the pistols in .177 and 330 fps in .22.

This equates to 3.13 ft/lbs in .177 and 3.3 ft/lbs in .22.

Mike95

Webley power

I should add to my last post, calculated with 8gr and 14 gr pellets.

Mike95

That's about right, whatever the manufacturer says, it's rare for these pistols to go over 3 ft/lbs. When the pistols are well run-in, and you fit new springs, piston heads and lube them properly you might get around 3 ft/lbs. It's not worth trying to get more power out of them, with the cylinder size, transfer port and other factors these pistols will never be as powerful as HW45s, Cometa Indians or BSA Scorpions.

I don't wish to sound as if I'm slagging them off though, I love Webley overlevers. If you tune them for sweetness rather than power they are pleasant, enjoyable to shoot pistols, with real heritage.

Webley pistols

I would agree that the mfrs figures are probably optimistic. I have found the Tempest to be a little more powerful. You have a very short piston movement in a fairly slender cylinder so power will never be too great. The Premier Mark 2 is quoted at 350 and 310 fps so even less power available.

Mike95

webley`s

Thanks to both Mike and Rob, for the advise i dont think ill bother fitting new springs to any of them ill just leave them alone and ocasionaly shoot them and enjoy them for what they are, cheers ATB Andy