Thread: Baikal 38?

ggggr is online now part time super hero and seeker of justice

Baikal 38?

Probably should be in the other section but I thought try here. Just picked a cheap baikal up and after info and maybe another cheap gun. Its got 38 stamped at the front end of the cylinder. Is this the same as our host was selling upto last year? I was trying to get one for my ex girlfriends lad but they were sold out. It looks quite well made, if crude. The stock is a lot better than the chinese jobs and the build looks a lot better than the chinese pistol I did for my mates lad last week.
    Any info appreciated and if youve got a really cheap one please pm me. Thanks

Mine was bought second hand about 25 years ago. It was my first airgun and a Christmas present from my parents. It is stamped IJ38 Made in the USSR. Fantastic design with adjustable breech for wear, barrel lock and bear trap. All steel sights and stock had nice pistol cap and spacers. After I bought mine the lad next door got one. It came with spare leather seals and spring.
    Mine was very accurate considering the cheap 'Champion' pellets I used to feed it. Still works fine today and no plans to sell it.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I believe that a standard BSA Meteor spring fits it, at least one from one of the earlier models like a Mk 3. I had one and it was very accurate and well made for a cheapish rifle and not at all like the shoddy Chinese guns. I think the design is a copy from the pre-WW2 Haenal, with the elegant little barrel catch.

I sold quite a few of these when I worked in gunshop in the 80's. They were soldidly made with good design features. Much better than the Chinese stuff sold as beginner's guns nowadays. A good rifle to own. Baikal guns all seem to offer good value.

ggggr is online now part time super hero and seeker of justice

Cool Baikal 38

Stripped the stock and giving it a refinish now. The stain was a bugger to get off so I gave the stock a banded finish Ie. attacked it with a blow lamp and then put thinned and unthinned stain on it. It actually looks quite good but I cant post pics. Will have to invest in another colour of stain at some point!
    Anyway---Has anyone got one of these knocking about that they dont want?
    My mate and his lad will be coming round next week and Ive got a feeling he will fancy one of these.
    Thanks

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    There was an article in an old AGW about refining the trigger on the IJ-38. It involved making the sear engagement square rather than angled. This gives a cleaner let-off apparently.

I never tried it on mine as I was worried about increasing the wear on the sear and making it unsafe, although the modification seemed sensible enough.

As far as I know they still make this cheerful Communist tool, in modern Russia known as the MP-512, but they sell it with an optional black plastic stock & at two power levels. No-one imports it to the UK at the moment so it seems.

Check out these beauties

http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/113.html

My suggestion is that you become the sole importer of the IJ-38, and drive the B-2s back into the ocean where they belong.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 20-08-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Or this one.

Iain

baikel air guns

hi gents fat Man here, if i can add my 2 pence worth, if its built like the Baikel Shotguns it will do its job well and last for years ! dose anyone need anything more from a cheap gun ! I think not !!!. When i shot clays i used to enjoy embarrasing the Elite crew with there brownings, or berretas. More money than talent,# who beleved if you bought the top fashionable gun you could "obviusly " outshot any one . And the gun used, Baikel over and under bought for £75 second hand, wish i still had it.

IJ38 - the club has one which was donated several years ago. Great built quality for the price, far better than todays Chinese offerings, but what else can you expect from something with IJ in the name.

ATB
    I. J.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

baikel air guns

now IJ careful, i work for the gvernment should we be checking you out to see if you real name is Ivan !!! . Take care from Fat Man !!!

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    but what else can you expect from something with IJ in the name.
    Old as the hills maybe?

Yup that works

Rich
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.