Thread: Sentimentality and old guns.

Sentimentality and old guns.

Hi guys
    I have just started to recomission what was my first "grownup" air rifle back in the day, an old relum tornado, recovered last year from a damp corner of a mates long forgotten caravan, and found to be in surprisingly good order. Recently purchased internals, loading tap iron sights and trigger guard come to more than the rifles current market value, but that was not the point of this, it was to breathe new life into the catalyst for alife long passion, and so is priceless to me. My question is do I go with a benevolent impulse to get it reblued (anyone had it done, prices? recommendations?), at several more times the value of the gun (which I don't mind) or allow it to wear it's slight surface rust, patina, and battle scars with pride, which somehow feels more honest? What do you think?
    Thanks for reading.
    Regards, Doz.

My vote is for leaving it as it is - continue to enjoy it and let it wear its battle scars and experience with pride!

I...

...still have the first "grown-up" air rifle I bought myself at the age of 18 - BSA Supersport K (including a Don Robinson stock ). Best use of a student grant I've ever heard of

Recently bought myself a BSA Mercury S which was the first air rifle I ever had, bought as a 15th birthday present second hand from George Bates in Brum by my gun hating parents and subsequently stolen in a house burgalry Although this latest one is in pretty good nick anyway I will leave as is because I feel the wear and tear is part of the soul of the thing

edbear2 Guest
    HI........you can normally improve the metalwork no end by a gentle rub with 0000 grade wire wool soaked in oil, and then wiped off with a cloth to remove the rust "slurry" as you go.....this system, done fairly carefully, will normally transform a gun which has been stood for a while. Relum blueing is normally pretty durable, and you may well be very suprised at how it comes up!

As for a reblue......If it had been a gun unknown to you which you had just acquired, then maybe....But you are really lucky to have something which has this connection from years back, so If I were in the same boat, I would 100% leave as is.......every mark probably has a memory for you

Old guns

I had the same decision to make with my first air rifle, a Czech model ZV3. My brother gave it back to me after years in his loft. There was surface rust on it and the stock had been refinished (very badly) by me around 45 years ago. I did as suggested above with the oil and wire wool, and gently tidied up the stock. I'm so glad I only did the minimum work, as it still remains personal to me and helps me to recall the time when I first got it.

Ian
    Last edited by webman; 08-04-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Got a few guns I've had since a kid and that I've collected over the years.

But its just a chunk of metal, with a value equal to what someone will pay for it - offer me more than what I think its worth and its yours! (if I've got more than one of them)

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

sentimentality and old guns

I have done a fair few old guns now. I have given some of them a "rough bluing" and others I have taken more time with. I dont have polishing gear so the results will never be brilliant but I like guns to look their age. What I have managed to do with a few is to use the wire wool to take off the rust and then degreased the action and gone over it with cold blue. I have had some quite pleasing (to me) results doing this----the gun looks tidyish but also its age. I would only do this if your Relum has lost a fair bit of blue or you are not happy with the wire wool and oil clean up. Maybe IJ is the man to ask? (any bans for baiting Relum haters?)
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by olivercromwell View Post

But its just a chunk of metal, with a value equal to what someone will pay for it - offer me more than what I think its worth and its yours! (if I've got more than one of them)
    Hi....one all except one thing I agree!.....I see all my stuff as if I am the "guardian" for the present time....all have had god knows how many owners over the years, who have given them varying amouts of care and maintainence ......all all would be gone if the brown stuff hit the spinning thing, and I was desperate for cash, or if I went under a bus tommorow

BUT......I am in my 50's now, and have realised I have very few connections with my early childhood....My parents have gone, I have just a few photo's of myself as a nipper, and a few close friends that I have known since primary school age........but nothing material

So to have kept a childhood gun, even if were a ratty Webley pistol, or a rifle or some such, would have been great!....the only thing I have from my childhood is an old Young's "Ambidex" fishing reel which I have owned since about the age of 8 (sneaked it out of my dad's stuff after he hung up his rods

So...if any young shots are reading this...hang on to something, you will cherish the memorys later (hopefully much later) on.......

old guns

I don't want the ones i first had, they were pretty poor the first few, i'm really enjoying shooting the good rifles from my youth that i couldn't afford then - now, though, just got a nice fwb 124 today & what a cracking little gun! :-)

wow! super respone, thanks.
    have given it the oil 'n' wool treatment and it's worked well, amazing considering. i shall keep it coz it is a tangible link to the past, but it can stay as it is
    regards
    doz