Thread: Webley Tempest .177 - Serial Number & approximate valuation?

Webley Tempest .177 - Serial Number & approximate valuation?

Hello All,

Just got myself a .177 Webley Tempest, no idea what MK or what model it is. It's got the black plastic grips, side safety catch on the left hand side, white lettering both sides which is faded and white lettering underneath. The breech seal is missing which I know is available. The pistol is in reasonable condition for its age but the barrel blueing is pitted and has a small rust patch right at the muzzle end. Everything is intact and it does fire although as I said the breech seal is missing. I'll try and get some photos asap but my camera is out on loan to a friend.

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me

a) where to look for a serial number.

b) what's it likely to be worth inclusive p&p?

Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    No serial number if made for the U.K. market, and I just bought a v-vgc un-boxed example for £90 plus post, to replace the boxed one I sold (.177) when out of work for £135 plus post. Hope this helps . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thanks

Hey up gareth,

Thanks for that. I'm not bothered about keeping this as I got it in a deal for some other stuff. I just wanted some idea of where to find a serial number which there isn't one as it's a UK one or it seems to be, it does saye Made in England. What sort of area would you consider the one I have to be valued at? I know it's sight unseen at the moment and the breech seal is missing but I wanted a guesstimate so that I can decide what to sell it for which I intend to do shortly.

Thanks for your reply
    Regards

In the condition described £65. Could be more or less if you post a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    No serial number if made for the U.K. market, and I just bought a v-vgc un-boxed example for £90 plus post, to replace the boxed one I sold (.177) when out of work for £135 plus post. Hope this helps . Atb: G.
    I would agree 100% with this vgc unboxed £90 is right and £100 + if boxed , as with anything always try to get boxed and if you buy new always keep the box

New Breech Seal Fitted

Hello All,

I've just had a new breech seal fitted to the Tempest and it shoots well. The gunshop told me that it has some play in the barrel pivot but it is not bad and the gun overall is in decent condition. Still not go any photographs but they should be up later.

Regards

So the boxed .22 minter I bought 2 years ago for £75 posted was a bit of a bargain then? Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    So the boxed .22 minter I bought 2 years ago for £75 posted was a bit of a bargain then? Cool!
    Git.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I sold one onhere unboxed and in vgc for £50 posted. Cond was slightly better than your description.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratcatcher View Post
    I sold one onhere unboxed and in vgc for £50 posted. Cond was slightly better than your description.
    Well someone saved themselves a good £50 then !!! Just scanned your history back to 2007 and couldn't see a thread for a Tempest for sale (although to be fair, did scan quickly as off to work in ten), so assume it was an off-forum behind the scenes deal, or in answer to w WANTED advert ??? Ahhhh well, live and learn for next time you are selling a Webley pistol eh ??? Atb: G.

Photographs added

Hello All,

Photographs of the .177 Webley Tempest are here :

http://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo27/Greylag/

Regards

Ooh ... Based on the pics, I'd say £50 (plus post) tops (new fronts with clear white writing are available from Guns International and the other bits can be rubbed and re-blued quite well with a good home-blue kit). An interesting project for someone . Atb: G.

Thanks All

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies. I've put the Tempest up for sale at £65.00 to cover the cost of p&p and the new seal I had fitted yesterday.

Regards