Thread: How to strip a BSA Standard rifle???

How to strip a BSA Standard rifle???

Hi all

i had half an hour with my Standard t'other day when all of a sudden it went very 'grunchy' upon cocking, i'd like to have a look inside to see if i can see what's causing it but don't have a clue where to start on one of these guns

Can anyone give me a hint on how to get inside to the nub of the machine please

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

edbear2 Guest
    Easy peasy lemon squeezy

1.....Cocking lever (small / secondary / one that pushes the piston... one).....offski
    2.....Trigger guard......ditto (the two forward screws are all that hold the back on...plus the thread on the block of course....think Airsporter and you will be OK!)

3.....Standing up, with muzzle to floor (on a bit of carpet / rag whatever to protect crown).....pull trigger back to clear notch in cylinder, and unscrew the back, stock and block together!..(normal thread direction ie; C.C.W. to unscrew!)...literally a 5 min job!

4....use small cocking as an aid lever to pull out piston until piston notch appears at rear of cylinder, and then all is the same as a "normal" gun.

OR....If you prefer, leave the small cocking arm in place till after......I just get it of first for some reason
    Last edited by edbear2; 13-10-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Thanks Ed

You're a true gent

John

Or if you wish: clamp action in a rubber faced vice and unscrew the stock and trigger block complete. I find this easier than having the action vertical and pushing down / turning the block.
    Similarly with refitting.

If you need to separate the stock from the block, remove the oval plate in the butt and look to see if you have a bolt to undo with a screwdriver or a box spanner ... I have seen both. Sometimes the 'head' is close to the butt, other times it is a long way down and I have needed a very long broad screwdriver or a combination of box spanners or a socket 1/4" extension bar to reach the bolt head / nut.

But generally: as above: quite easy. Hopefully all you have is a broken spring problem ... not like a similarly built Haenel VIE we have in which the spring started to wind into the trigger housing. Maybe that was why the rifle was sold.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Or if you wish: clamp action in a rubber faced vice and unscrew the stock and trigger block complete. I find this easier than having the action vertical and pushing down / turning the block.
    Similarly with refitting.

If you need to separate the stock from the block, remove the oval plate in the butt and look to see if you have a bolt to undo with a screwdriver or a box spanner ... I have seen both. Sometimes the 'head' is close to the butt, other times it is a long way down and I have needed a very long broad screwdriver or a combination of box spanners or a socket 1/4" extension bar to reach the bolt head / nut.

But generally: as above: quite easy. Hopefully all you have is a broken spring problem ... not like a similarly built Haenel VIE we have in which the spring started to wind into the trigger housing. Maybe that was why the rifle was sold.

Cheers, Phil

Cheers Russel

It has the two short springs as can be seen once it's cocked but they look in good condition (missed a pair on fleabay last week, i forgot about them and they went pretty cheap)...

Thanks, John

John, I forgot about the springs as well
    Marsh.
    Good deals with Eddiekneejerk, scirroco,Garvin, brownie,NeilLedger,NortonAMC,MadMike,Lodmoor,Jonny Mark,ogilkes,brdrew,averageplinker,canman,Pagoda1, boxman,beagle,clueless,RobMac,RobM,DaveJW,leroy02, JerryCornelius,jarrod,Alistair,jonno1972,Emsill and Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
    John, I forgot about the springs as well
    Marsh.

I think it's an age thing mate

Now, where did i put me slippers and cardigan

John

edbear2 Guest
    I think the guy is selling some more