Thread: BSA Serial Numbers

BSA Serial Numbers

I have just bought a BSA Airrifle and would like to determine its date of manufacture.

first challenge - find the serial number, almost all images I have seen of these older rifles show a serial number on the trigger block, my rifle has no number there. Are the serial numbers always on the trigger block?

i can find two numbers on the barrel, underneath the rear sight (more or less):
    RP No 479972
    Or
    RB No 479972

and 817s

Some pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/5767906...7625913908979/

some other details:
    Stock – 13 ¼
    1 hole on trigger block

side button underlever

Narrow back v – rear sight
    Bead foresight

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Hawkeye007; 13-02-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: update image url

Hi,

Not all BSAs had a serial number as BSA supplied blank trigger blocks with aperture sights as replacements upon request. For instance, I know of a .25 Improved Model D with no serial number but in every other respect, the rifle is correct. Does yours have an aperture sight or space for one in the trigger block?

I suspect the first two characters on the sight are RD. With the stock length, I suspect you have a Light Pattern from around 1910-1914. Sorry, can't access your pics.

Kind regards,
    John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 10-02-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: update on answer

Hi,
    The side catch underlever and the RD 479972 would seem to date it to 1911 -1914. The side catch was patented in 1910. Why no serial number? deliberately removed or polished out? What is the calibre and overall length? Pistol grip or straight stock? Can't see your picture. If you can, put some pictures up on photobucket or similar.
    atb
    dogsbody

If that is the serial number, it would appear to have too many digits. Did they go that high?

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    If that is the serial number, it would appear to have too many digits. Did they go that high?

Carl.
    Hi Carl,
    That's the Registered Design number for the No 10 Backsight.

Kind regards,

John

Thank you very much.

I will attach some decent pics this weekend. Just need to get my macro lens back from a mate.

Lawrence

Ah, thanks John. In that case my guess is 6th June 1912 about 3pm.

I'll get me coat.

My guestimate at dating is 1910-1912 as the butt appears to have a steel buttplate. Interesting trigger block, with no number as you say. Must have been a factory replacement or perhaps the assembler missed it when rushing an order on a Friday afternoon!

John

Nice rifle! The quality of the older BSA's is awsome ! Built to last several lifetimes.

One thing I have noticed is that at some time your rearsight has been turned back to front.

The overhanging wheel on the No.10 rearsight should be facing towards the muzzle, not towards the trigger block as yours is.

Simple job, just drift it out with a hammer a block of wood, turn it around and tap it back into position.

All the best

Lakey

Thanks guys, I will turn the rear sight around.

This rifle shoots really well, I am well impressed. I love these older rifles, defn starting a collection but its really difficult to come by on the bottom of the dark continent.

This rifle groups about 2cm CTC at 10 meters off a rest, shooting JSB exact between 400 and 440 fps - not that the technical data means much.

Thanks
    Lawrence

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye007 View Post
    Thanks guys, I will turn the rear sight around.

This rifle shoots really well, I am well impressed. I love these older rifles, defn starting a collection but its really difficult to come by on the bottom of the dark continent.

This rifle groups about 2cm CTC at 10 meters off a rest, shooting JSB exact between 400 and 440 fps - not that the technical data means much.

Thanks
    Lawrence
    Hi Lawrence.......to remove the rearsight, use a hardwood drift and small hammer, but importantly, to remove, hit the left hand side (looking down the gun from the stock end) The sights (both front and rear) are fitted (and replaced)from the right hand side....

Power and accuracy wise, a good fettle one of these would do 600 fps when new or with a fresh spring / washer, and will group (rested) a single hole at 10 yards.

It may be worth pulling the tap (30 seconds) out, and giving the barrel a pull through, as many of these have not been cleaned for decades......it can have a startling affect on accuracy in some cases!

Anyway, hope you enjoy it...as you have found 'proper' airgunning can be addictive

Lovely looking BSA Lawrence. Nice Anschutz 220 there too!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Clean

The Anschutz is an awesome rifle - quickly becoming a favourite. The engineering is unbelievable, the loading ramp was sticking yesterday so i took the action out - the woodwork on the bedding is something to behold.

Also, the Anscutz trigger is the best I have ever felt - so clean and crisp - not bad for a 50 year old rifle.