Thread: Pre war bsa 177 break barrel

Pre war bsa 177 break barrel

Hi Gents, just a question of manufacture date. B941 not mine doing it for someone who i havnt even met. john
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Hi Gents, just a question of manufacture date. B941 not mine doing it for someone who i havnt even met. john
    Possibly around 1932 since it's an early one. But I'm reliably informed that post-WW1 BSAs serial numbers can't be connected precisely to a manufacturing date in the same way the pre-WW1 rifles can. I'm not sure if this caveat applies to the break barrels though.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi John,
    Not a lot is known about BSA Breakdown production and it is one of many BSA related subjects I am currently researching. The earliest Breakdowns, which were introduced in 1932 had no prefix and according to Dennis Hiller, the highest serial number known is 6642, which was made in 1935. BSA then, for reasons best known to themselves started serial numbering again from 1 (from 1935) and prefixed this serial number range with a B. These B prefixed rifles were made up until 1939 and Dennis Hiller mentions B8562 as being the highest number known. As Garvin has already pointed out, serial numbering on BSA underlevers was not always consecutive and this may also be the case with the Breakdown.

I'll start another thread to see what variations of Breakdown are known.

Kind regards,
    John

Thanks.
    Just about right on my guess, went for 32to 35 not that it makes any difference but shoots and quite tight on breach assembly, condition?? pitted, not original blade in back sight told him about £60/70?? again a guess. john
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Thanks.
    Just about right on my guess, went for 32to 35 not that it makes any difference but shoots and quite tight on breach assembly, condition?? pitted, not original blade in back sight told him about £60/70?? again a guess. john
    Hard to be precise without pics but yes, around £70 would not be too wide of the mark. Possibly a bit more if the foresight is complete and stock unmolested.

John

Yes forsight original,(very narrow,)stock tidy but wooden plug missing on stock bolt.
    Have left him a message that iff at anytime he wants to part with it i would put a thread here for him,(i dont collect). john
    snarepeg.