Thread: Hello from Wiltshire!

Hello from Wiltshire!

Hi all,
    I am hoping to return to the sport after a break of about 15 years.

I used to really enjoy hunting (woodies and squirrel) armed with my trusty BSA Meteor, fitted with an aftermarket OX Mainspring and a 4x20. I loved everything about it, often spending several hours happily and patiently creeping about the woodland/scrub waiting for that perfect shot, being a naturally cautious type that often meant that I left without firing off a single shot.
    I do now realise however (after reading stuff online - there was no web back then!) that my gun is not really suitable for hunting for several reasons:
    1) They are underpowered as standard - apprently 8ft/lbs not the 11ft/lbs+ that you should have.
    2) Once upgraded (like mine) they make such a racket that its impractical to use - its louder than a small bore crack!
    3) A 4x20 is about as useful as an empty toilet roll tube taped to the gun.

That was then, I knew no better..... and this is now.

I am keen to restart but have moved away (not to mention got married and had kids!) since I last picked up a gun, but following advice on the net about how to go about getting land upon which to shoot, I checked GoogleMaps and to my delight, its all green near me - farmland everywhere.

First things first though, I will need to get myself a gun and insurance and everything really - AND THEN approach landowners. Will need to spend a few sessions with targets I am sure to learn the gun and get back in the swing of things.

And before that can happen, I am going to have to sell off all my archery gear to fund it.

Wife thinks I am mad.
    Nothing new there then.

Anyone else in Bath/Frome/Trowbridge area?

A very warm welcome to this fine forum it’s good to have you join us ………………….…

welcome near by and moving to trowbridge soon
    Cheers Lloyd

Mr Magoo is offline Should Have Gone to SecsPavers
    Good Morning and Welcome to the BBS.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Got my recurve archery gear up for sale.... so hopefully its now simply a matter of time until...

..... 'phut'!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbandit View Post
    welcome near by and moving to trowbridge soon
    Cheers - hahaha, small world!

hi and welcome