Thread: Trigger work on 'Old Army'

Trigger work on 'Old Army'

Does anyone know anybody that does trigger jobs on Ruger 'Old Armies', starting to get some decent groups with mine but the trigger pull is horrendous?

Or are there any drop in parts like a replacement hammer and sear that can be used to lighten it?

Or should i just get used to it and stop being such a moaner

Iv got two ruger old armies and previously owned another. All three have/had superb triggers so am thinking yours probably has a problem. Yes, the trigger pull is slightly longer than my Rodgers and Spencer but its smooth as silk to shoot.
    Mine once got jammed up due to a peice of primer going down in front of the hammer that locked the trigger up, possibly this is the problem with yours. They are relitively easy to strip down so i would start by stripping and cleaning it thoroughly, grease up the springs and trigger plunger assembly. Put it back together and see how it goes.
    Tim.

Thanks Tim,

.....but it's not that, mine is totally stripped, cleaned and lubed every time it is shot. It may be that my trigger is the same as yours but its my first BP and I may just be expecting too much from it!!

Any idea what weight the trigger on yours normally breaks at and I can test mine.

I thought I would post in case anyone knew of a BP Pistol God that fettled all the triggers!
    Last edited by CloseEmBoth; 03-08-2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Spelling....as usual

Have never measured the trigger pull but its no heavier than any other b/p pistol iv shot, say about 3lb. Be carefull with letting just anyone play with it though, theres lots of wanna be gun smiths out there who can turn a good gun into a dangerous gun!
    Ken at Kranks at Pudsey, Roger and Dave at SYSS in Wombwell or Fenland Rural sports all have loads of experience but cant think of any Ruger gurus off the top of my head. Guess the thing to do would be to try and compare yours with others of the same type to get a comparison. Tim

Has it got an adjusting screw in the base of the pistol grip to lighten the trigger pull.

There's an excellent book on muzzle loading called "That Pistol Book". A review of it is here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thatpistolbook/muzloc.htm.

There is a passage under the revolver section on how to lighten the trigger. It's inevitably fiddly as you have to stone the top of the trigger in a jig. The other other thing to try is reducing the weight in the finger spring. Try the trigger with the spring out and see how it feels, that'll tell you how light it could be. If it's creepy, you can stone the top of the back of the trigger blade so that the engagement point is brought further forward in the hammer notch. I got my Hege Remington down to a reliable and consistent 300g using a combination of the above. I have to confess I decided it was a little too light and put some more on the finger spring.

Nope, no adjustment screw at all.

Nick, many thanks for the most informative link and post will possible give it a go if i am feeling brave.

Many thanks all

I fitted a Brownells spring kit to mine (RSA-108) which has Wolff springs.

Inexpensive & trigger pull is now very nice.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2..._SINGLE_ACTION

I also got that spring kit, local gunsmith fitted it and did a little polishing on various trigger bits and my ROA is now very good. Just the shooter that requires a bit of attention now