Thread: Calling an Airsporter expert

Calling an Airsporter expert

Hopefully a simple question: I have been coming across examples of the Airsporter that have a cross bolt forward of the standard stock fixing screws. The standard screws do, of course, bolt the stock to the metal bracket fastened to the action. The forward cross bolt simply goes from one arm of the stock forend to the other, presumably acting as extra strengthening for the stock arms.
    But nowhere can I see information suggesting that this bolt was standard ... no photo shows it and it does not appear on any 'exploded diagrams' I have seen. So is the bolt an 'owner' added feature?

Ignorance may be bliss but this puzzles me. Any info anyone?

On another matter, most old, neglected Airsporters (and Mercurys for that matter) seem to suffer from disintegrating buffer washers on the piston. New ones are a little expensive for what they are and, me being me, I am always on the look out for 'home solutions'. In the past I have used thick leather or a thick tap washer to good effect but what else could be used? I am toying with PTFE. What have you used?

And before you tell me to ditch the washer and move the piston head down to increase swept volume ... I am aware of that modification and have already used it as well. So my question still stands ... what other materials would be suitable?

Cheers, Phil

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post

On another matter, most old, neglected Airsporters (and Mercurys for that matter) seem to suffer from disintegrating buffer washers on the piston. New ones are a little expensive for what they are and, me being me, I am always on the look out for 'home solutions'. In the past I have used thick leather or a thick tap washer to good effect but what else could be used? I am toying with PTFE. What have you used?

And before you tell me to ditch the washer and move the piston head down to increase swept volume ... I am aware of that modification and have already used it as well. So my question still stands ... what other materials would be suitable?

Cheers, Phil
    I dunno. It's just there as protection in case some clever 'friend' dry-fires your beloved BSA. You could try a really good quality Parmesan (Waitrose at the very least), Africa ironwood or some loose change wiv an 'ole drilled in it. Seriously though, most home mechanics settle on the rubber tap-washer, which although it isn't wide enough to give a 100% replacement look, works as well as the original and isn't £3 a pop like those from Chambers.

[QUOTE=Hsing-ee;5124208]I dunno. You could try a really good quality Parmesan (Waitrose at the very least),

Perfect idea .. the old buffer often looks like cheese anyway. Maybe a bit of matured Edam would be Ok ? Or a mousetrap Cheddar. Sorry but it would have to be from Aldi though (when they have a BOGOF event ....).

Cheers, Phil

I once used a tap washer off a bath tap, it is near enough the same size as the buffer washer and I'm tight too.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Hi Phil, don't consider myself an expert but I am an Airsporter 'nut' (BSA Part number - 10 04 1957 Nut on the end of the trigger.)
    never encountered both on an Airsporter.
    Mk1 and Mk2 had the forend screw that passed through to secure both sides of stock together.
    not sure about Mk3 as I have never seen one.
    Mks 4 on had the two screws which fixed into a u shaped inverted bracket below the action.
    I would only personally recommend the use of original BSA components including the standard spring - perhaps I am a coward?

atb
    Airsporterman