Thread: Spotting scopes

Spotting scopes

I have recently seen vids online and pics of 10m air pistol shooters using a spotting scope. I have to admit I find it hard to see my shots, so I usually wait untili've fired a mag off to collect the target for studying.

Does anyone else on here use a spotting scope for pistol shooting? If so which model do you use?

Thanks

Al

I have a cheap Aldi spotting scope I use for archery, lets me see my arrows quite easily out to 100 yards though it starts to get milky when zoomed in. However, I imagine they would be fine for seeing .177 holes out at 10 metres.

Theres little point in spending money on one of these if a cheap one does the job fine.

The only problem I have with spotting scopes is that you start to check each shot after shooting and then you start to over-analyse the last shot and correct on the next shot. They can be a curse as much as a blessing. I reckon your existing method of checking after shooting a magazine is the best method, that way you shoot a group and do not concentrate on single shots.

Before you buy, make sure they focus down to 10m. I have two, and one doesn't!

Although, I don't use a scope for 10m rifle shooting, (as the target is changed in any case for each shot).

(I don't have either of them here at the moment but the one that doesn't is an old, '80s version Tasco)

Interestingly, the backstops in the 10 m range at the Lord Robert's Centre at Bisley is transparent sheet, presumably perspex, at a 45 degree angle with a white background. It is quite easy to see your shots without a scope etc as they appear white and are obvious. (The perspex or whatever is obviously pellet proof.)