Quote Originally Posted by clunge View Post
I started using the same method a couple of months ago. Works well for me.

Furthermore, I zero to 20 yards, so If I do a string of five, then the click calculation stops being a calculation.
Why?

A minute of angle is a minute of angle at any range, you just need to work out how much it is. I spent ages trying to work out how many clicks I needed at 300...all i had to do was look at plot sheet...look at turret...dial...job jobbed.

How are 10m rifles calibrated? Still in MOA I am guessing

If 1MOA is 1.074"at 100 (approx) then it will be half that at 50, quarter at 25 and so on (although we round it down to an inch, so already there are inaccuracies).

The MOA is a constant angle, wind/inaccuracies aside, it only subtends with distance.

If you need 4 clicks per MOA at 100, then 4 clicks at 25 is 1/4MOA or 16 clicks per inch if you like...at 20yards it wont be far off, certainly enough to get your MPI within a pellets width of the POA.

Or use the 25yd settings and fine tune.

If all you are doing is zeroing, you dont even really need a 5 round group, 3 will do as long as they land close enough to be a group

Another quick/rough zero method you could use with a scope that needs no knowledge of the MOA at all is an old snipers trick called the 2 round zero.

You need a steady base though.

Fire 2 shots using dead centre as a POA.

Keep the crosshairs on the POA, and wind the turrets until the cross hairs lie on the holes. now, when you put the cross hairs back on the POA, you have taken the error out visually rather than mathematically....but you do need to be able to keep the rifle still as if it moves....