Thread: How do lazer target pistols work??

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..

How do lazer target pistols work??

Just watching the Women's heptathlon,as far as I could make out on the TV,they seemed to be using PCP pistols,but we're dry firing them??
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Same as those SCATT training aids.

The target has a sensor and can tell when the pulse of lead (sorry, light) comes down.

I purchased a nephew a cowboy shooting range with tin cans and targets that moved when shot with the laser rifle.

Its a shame they couldn't use proper pistols, preferably colt 45s, but it reduces the safety requirements using light.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    They are not actualy modded PCP's but were made as lazer pistols, the trigger mech operates the lazer along the lines of the Scatt. I know Steyr made some prototypes but did not see the event so I don't know which ones they were using. Scatt is very good but it is a training aid not an electronic scoring system and when live firing with scatt it does come up with some foibles so I don't think the lazer systems are fool proof when used as a competitive scoring system
    In heptathlon there were still a lot of accuracy issues with them in the trials and a lot of people were against using them because of that, but I suppose in this stupid climate of anti gun the goody goodies always win regardless.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Would imagine it's a lot easier to use them in general, as there would effectively be little/no time between making the contact with the trigger (still 500g?) and the pulse leaving the gun, unless maybe there's a delay built in to simulate the pellet's travel down the barrel. Recoil must be as near to zero as makes no difference though!
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

From what I've read they generally have an 8 ms delay built in to simulate the pellet moving the length of the barrel. I do have a follow-up question to this, does anyone know where to get a laser container for an air pistol?

Lucas

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    I really don't know if they have put a delay or some form of compensation in, I doubt they would have, so yes you would have only the trigger lock time.
    As Scatt is probably the best current technology prior to full lazer pistols they may have used the principle of the F coefficient? On Scatt you have the F coefficient which is adjustable and which does alter the position of shot placement based on which direction the gun was moving in when the trigger broke which does alter the "score" depending on setting, but Scatt is a training aid not a scoring system so that can be usefull although a little frustrating for shooters thinking score not technique.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Minor detail, it's pentathlon, not heptathlon..

The guns are a pain in the posterior, are only used for national competitions and are notoriously unreliable.

Other than that, they are great!

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308