Thread: crossman 140 ID and age ???

crossman 140 ID and age ???

hi there, a little help please from someone in the know,if possible from description as i have nothing to do pics with. which variant this 140 is, pump tube ,barrel and breech are steel.has a safety bolt through the stock and a pressed steel trigger guard, the trigger is pressed steel and fixed into the stock via a pin. theres no manual cocking on the breech slide and whats there it never has " nothing snapped off",so im guessing its auto cock. on the breech slide it says crossman 140 fairport,NY,usa.22 cal. the stock is held in place with a knurled steel nut. front sight is fixed to the cyilnder end plug " one piece unit", rear sight slides on the barrel with a single screw for elavation only. no butt pad fitted and i can't see its ever had one. any info on this one, thanks gc93.......

This may help identify it:

MODEL 140
    - .22 cal., pneumatic pump, swinging forearm, single shot, 4.8 lbs. First variant: spoon handle breech cover, aluminum breech, fingertip recocking, mfg. 1954. Second variant: spoon handle breech cover, aluminum breech, auto recocking, mfg. 1955-1957. Third variant: with automatic cocking, without spoon handle breech cover, steel breech. Mfg. 1956-1962. Fourth variant: die-cast trigger housing, mfg. 1961-1968.

ATB
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

good info thanks eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    This may help identify it:

MODEL 140
    - .22 cal., pneumatic pump, swinging forearm, single shot, 4.8 lbs. First variant: spoon handle breech cover, aluminum breech, fingertip recocking, mfg. 1954. Second variant: spoon handle breech cover, aluminum breech, auto recocking, mfg. 1955-1957. Third variant: with automatic cocking, without spoon handle breech cover, steel breech. Mfg. 1956-1962. Fourth variant: die-cast trigger housing, mfg. 1961-1968.

ATB
    Eric
    Hi, just as Eric said ,
    I have had a few of these, The best trigger is the diecast one, But not my favourite, Its the crossbolt safety model.

They are capable of more than our limit ! & will last forever with a few seals ,
    I have 2, complete , ( One in bits ) Awaiting resurrection Ha ha, It lives with a couple of Sheridans,
    Shown here ! I bought new seals for these , Alas, Probably never get finished !! Ged.

Last edited by gedfinn 2; 07-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Friggin ell Ged you must have been pissed when you took that pic
    Any idea where i can get a pump CUP seal for my one mate

Some Crosman (not Crossman) history

The origin of the model 140 design (this also applies for the model 130 pistol that has the exact same power plant) came from the inherent "flaw" found in the new designs that replaced the "standard" Crosman model 101 series. These new designs were the 107/108/110/120 rifles. The "flaw" was valve lock. Valve lock is when the gun has been over pumped to the point that the gun will not release air when the hammer hits the valve stem. The old 101 series didn't have this problem, since the hammer is exposed and can be hit with a hammer, if need be.

To Crosman administration (PY Hahn) and engineering (Rudy Merz) valve lock was a design flaw. Requiring, an otherwise perfectly operating, gun to be disassembled to unlock the gun was just not acceptable. The result was the blow off valve design seen in the models 130 and 140. No matter what, you cannot pump these guns to the point that they will not operate. What does happen is that the trigger pull gets stronger with more pumps, but that is a pretty minor issue.

Initially, the design of both the 130 and 140 has a valve cap that is reset by hand called by Crosman as "finger tip recocking" these are the ealiest and rarest of all the 130/140 models. They are even rarer because Crosman Service Stations were told to change over all of the original finger tip recocking versions to the auto recocking version. Because of this, parts for the early version are almost non existent.

The auto recocking idea actually came from a supervisor on the Crosman production floor.

My impression has been that the values for most all 140 models has never been very strong. One of the reasons for this is that for shooters interested in the best shooting model 140 go instead for a model 1400. A mint condition 1400 is a real treasure both from the collecting and shooting standpoint. 140s are common. 1400s are not.

Repair note: the pump cup for the 140/1400 and all other pump pneumatic Crosman guns is the same part. It has never changed. The only problem is that Crosman stopped selling the pump cup by itself. Instead, they sell a larger assembly. Last time I needed one (years ago) this part was about $7 and needed a quick spin on the lath to get the pump cup. I suspect that some Crosman repair shops (Precision Pellet and others) might have better access to remanufactured pump cups.

Looks like a 1400

Quote Originally Posted by mallyally View Post
    If the barrel and breech are one single unit, then this is a model 1400. Model number might be covered by scope mount. Generally, the 1400 is more desirable than the model 140.

I have the .177 version (Crosman 147).

I think mine is a late model -- it has a blondish stock attached to the action by a nut and has a diecast trigger with a rotating safety.
    It's a self cocker and the breech cover doesn't have a spoon handle.

Apart from being a bit fiddly to load, it's a great little 35" long rifle and an accurate hard-hitter.

All in all, a definite keeper and, as I was told by a forum member, "nice guns never lose money"!

I made a number of O ring seal kits for 140, 1300, Sheridan & Sharp models , All pump heads with 1, or 2, O rings ,
    They work very well,
    Also power upgrades on the above,

Here is one of a number I made earlier ( 140 ) About 5 + years ago , With a couple of new exhaust valves I Imported ,
    When the pump cups ran out, I made the O ring pump heads !

PS. Thats not the most " Tactfull " Way to ask for a part !
    You could try America ! Ha ha
    Cheers, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    I made a number of O ring seal kits for 140, 1300, Sheridan & Sharp models , All pump heads with 1, or 2, O rings ,
    They work very well,
    Also power upgrades on the above,

Here is one of a number I made earlier ( 140 ) About 5 + years ago , With a couple of new exhaust valves I Imported ,
    When the pump cups ran out, I made the O ring pump heads !

PS. Thats not the most " Tactfull " Way to ask for a part !
    You could try America ! Ha ha
    Cheers, Ged.
    just my way mate no harm meant (tis a bit blurry though )

just my way mate no harm meant (tis a bit blurry though )
    Not now mate ! All the best, Ged.

hi ged could we have a chat, ill pm a contact number or if you would pm me yours and ill get back to you, is that ok with you, thanks gc93...

info

thanks for the feedback gents, gc..