Thread: Baikal info

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Baikal info

quite a fan of the IJ38 rifle. A really well made plinker that can be tuned fairly easily. I also quite like the 53 pistol although an ambi M? would suit me better I think. got a few questions about both rifles and pistols.
    (1) Did they make any air rifles before the IJ38 and if so what were they like? Larger and smaller versions would be pretty good.
    (2) Did they make any air pistols before the 53? I quite like the Slavia zvp and wonder if Baikal made anything like that or whether there was some sort of Eastern Bloc agreement over who made what?
    (3) I understand that the 513M is a magnum rifle and wondered if any were imported and sold in this country? Also as Hull Cartridge crop springs for the Weihrauch, whether the same could be done for the Baikal?

Closet IJ 38 fans come out of the closet
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

HI, I havent a clue what the model nos are, but I remember york guns having a baikal break barrell 5 shot springer with 2 mags for £100, I dont know for sure if they are importers but may be worth a look

Here's an older Baikal pistol - a break-barrel so obviously derived from a cut-down rifle they couldn't be bothered to reposition the rearsight.

http://www.muzzle.de/N3/Druckluft/Ba...baikal_40.html

I'm not sure if those serial numbers quoted ('88XXXX...') suggest a production date of 1988 or not - that seems to be how it works on my Baikals (eg, Izh46 serial number 99.... , handbook has handwritten date of manufacture entered as 28.06.99.

Regarding the '53, the 'M' suffix doesn't denote the ambi version, my right-hand target style model is still called this. If anything it's now called the MP53M, but that's just calling all their guns 'MP ... ' rather than 'Izh ...' I think.

Here's an article on at least one older Baikal rifle (from a very interesting blog, with a good index as well) :

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...mbly-part.html

Regards,

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Iain K D View Post
    Here's an older Baikal pistol - a break-barrel so obviously derived from a cut-down rifle they couldn't be bothered to reposition the rearsight.

http://www.muzzle.de/N3/Druckluft/Ba...baikal_40.html

I'm not sure if those serial numbers quoted ('88XXXX...') suggest a production date of 1988 or not - that seems to be how it works on my Baikals (eg, Izh46 serial number 99.... , handbook has handwritten date of manufacture entered as 28.06.99.

Regarding the '53, the 'M' suffix doesn't denote the ambi version, my right-hand target style model is still called this. If anything it's now called the MP53M, but that's just calling all their guns 'MP ... ' rather than 'Izh ...' I think.

Here's an article on at least one older Baikal rifle (from a very interesting blog, with a good index as well) :

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...mbly-part.html

Regards,

Iain
    Thanks for that Iain. I like that pistol (I want one) although it is just an earlier version of the 53 (well it looks like it to me). The Rifle is the same as the IJ 38 near as damn it. I think got a 22 or Vostok knocking about. I was hoping that they might have done something like a Diana 5/ Slavia zvp as a pistol or even something else. Rifle wise I was thinking Diana 25 sort of thing as they seem to have been copied a lot. love to know more if any of you who are good at searching for stuff on the internet could find anything? Thanks
    Looking at the pistol again, it looks like that is a proper steel breech block rather than the 53's alloy one (now made out of plastic I think)
    Last edited by ggggr; 29-09-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: last bit
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

This old thread has some Baikal info, including links that might be of use.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....an-Rifle-IJ-22
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I've got an IJ38, they are sweet little rifles. Very nice action and surprisingly smooth.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Just a bump for this. AND anyone got one of those pistols like in Iains pics?
    How about a mint one in the box with all the bits Baikal Model 40.

It has the original receipt from Vandenburgers dated 4/1/91 and cost £26 new.

It has Antibear trap ratcheted cocking and smells just like my IJ-38 did when it was new 26 years ago.
    Zastava Owners Club.

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    How about a mint one in the box with all the bits Baikal Model 40.

It has the original receipt from Vandenburgers dated 4/1/91 and cost £26 new.

It has Antibear trap ratcheted cocking and smells just like my IJ-38 did when it was new 26 years ago.
    That looks nice. surprised it was that price at that time as just pre vcr (2007), our sponsor was selling them for £35 or £37? I actually thought that the gun might have been older. Does it have a steel breech block?

Anybody know of older pistols and rifles than this and the Ij38 ?(or can delve into the history of Baikal airguns?)
    Last edited by ggggr; 02-10-2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Vcr bit

That looks nice. surprised it was that price at that time as just pre vcr, our sponsor was selling them for £35 or £37? I actually thought that the gun might have been older. Does it have a steel breech block?

Anybody know of older pistols and rifles than this and the Ij38 ?(or can delve into the history of Baikal airguns?)
    Way before VCR 1991!

Slightly off subject but I know of one of these that is marked as a Baikal.
    Zastava Owners Club.

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    Way before VCR 1991!

Slightly off subject but I know of one of these that is marked as a Baikal.
    Just checked an old Airgunner magazine December 1990 and our sponser was selling Baikal IJ40 pistols for £33.90 including postage.
    Zastava Owners Club.

There used to be an eastern bloc rifle in the late 60's inported, called the "Cossack" with a straight hand stock. I've always kept my eye open for one of these, but haven't seen one yet. That was perhaps a Baikal, or more likely an Izh.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Go on just make us an offer
    Zastava Owners Club.

Smile I just had a 38 fall into my lap.

quite a fan of the IJ38 rifle. A really well made plinker that can be tuned fairly easily. I also quite like the 53 pistol although an ambi M? would suit me better I think. got a few questions about both rifles and pistols.
    (1) Did they make any air rifles before the IJ38 and if so what were they like? Larger and smaller versions would be pretty good.
    (2) Did they make any air pistols before the 53? I quite like the Slavia zvp and wonder if Baikal made anything like that or whether there was some sort of Eastern Bloc agreement over who made what?
    (3) I understand that the 513M is a magnum rifle and wondered if any were imported and sold in this country? Also as Hull Cartridge crop springs for the Weihrauch, whether the same could be done for the Baikal?
    Closet IJ 38 fans come out of the closet
    It was listed as a IJ22, but a 38 is better, right??
    It's a nice, light, svelte unit with a few dings on the stock. I shot a couple of pellets into the yellow pages and had to dodge one ricochet; well it was more good luck than instinctive reaction. The spring makes a quiet "boing" sound when cocked, much like a wirewove bed
    In all other respects it is in fine nick and I didn't have to sell the youngest child to purchase it.
    Has made in USSR on one side of the breech and a 'A' serial number on the other.
    ИЖ 38 and shield stamped at the end of the receiver, no scope grooves, rear sights with elevation only and a hooded fore sight post.
    I have seen them with Baikal; made in Russia;Vostok stamps. I presume that these stampings relate to production or political periods??
    What, if any, are the differences between IJ-38 and IZH-38, or are they one in the same?? Is the 38C the last model before the next derivation?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 18-12-2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    It was listed as a IJ22, but a 38 is better, right??
    It's a nice, light, svelte unit with a few dings on the stock. I shot a couple of pellets into the yellow pages and had to dodge one ricochet; well it was more good luck than instinctive reaction. The spring makes a quiet "boing" sound when cocked, much like a wirewove bed
    In all other respects it is in fine nick and I didn't have to sell the youngest child to purchase it.
    Has made in USSR on one side of the breech and a 'A' serial number on the other.
    ИЖ 38 and shield stamped at the end of the receiver, no scope grooves, rear sights with elevation only and a hooded fore sight post.
    I have seen them with Baikal; made in Russia;Vostok stamps. I presume that these stampings relate to production or political periods??
    What, if any, are the differences between IJ-38 and IZH-38, or are they one in the same?? Is the 38C the last model before the next derivation?
    not well up on them but have seen a few. a 38 without scope rails and one with. The "Vostok"--was, I think a slightly different export version but still has IJ38 on the cylinder but "Vostok" on the side of the breech block. The rearsight is in a dovetail for lateral adjustment and needs tapping to move it, but get a bit of oil on it and leave it for a few days before trying to move it.
    A strip and lube helps these guns as they only have a basic grease in them. I think a meteor spring will fit if you cannot get the proper one. They used to come new with a spare mainspring and piston washer!

I found this interesting

Unfortunately my Russian is as bad as my Chinese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=C5O6STARrNw

One of my screw cups is seated deep so I looked closer. The wood has split due to the gap between the stock and fore screw bracket. Something was bound to give.
    Also, the anti-beartrap mechanism is bent. Major-not