Thread: Magazine trouble

Magazine trouble

Hello

Not very clued up when it comes to pistols. A friend of mine has a walther cp88 co2 8 shot pistol, just had a go and it dosent want to repeat. The magazine isn't turning on single or double action.

Any ideas

Thanks
    Craig

Either the pawl that rotates the magazine is worn or, more likely, the pawl spring is broken.I believe Umarex call this part the cylinder 'hand' , but really it is a pawl.
    Remove the magazine and look inside the top,where the mag sits against the rear of the topslide now pull back slowly on the hammer or trigger and you should see an alloy pointed arm( the pawl) moving slowly upward. this is the part that rotates the mag. it should protrude slightly as it lifts, if it does not protrude or lift then that is either the pawl itself or the leaf spring behind it is broken.
    This is a job best left to someone who is familiar with these pistols.

Pete.

I have had a look and can see the pawl moving up and protruding. However when I place the magazine in there seems to be quite a sustantional cap between the teeth on the mag and the top slide that the pawl comes from. If I point the pistol up and let the mag seat back against the pawl it works fine but when i point the pistol horizontally the mag seems to loose and the pawl dosent quite reach the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by craig_goswell View Post
    I have had a look and can see the pawl moving up and protruding. However when I place the magazine in there seems to be quite a sustantional cap between the teeth on the mag and the top slide that the pawl comes from. If I point the pistol up and let the mag seat back against the pawl it works fine but when i point the pistol horizontally the mag seems to loose and the pawl dosent quite reach the teeth.
    There will be a gap when the top slide is open but this should close up when the slide is closed.
    The only thing that comes to mind is that the leaf spring ,that pushes the pawl up to rotate the mag, is too weak to force the mag round once the pistol topslide is locked shut. Also, try a different magazine. If the fault is still there then it must be a weak pawl spring. I could fix it but you are not near me. I am sure someone on the forum knows someone near you who can sort it for you.

Pete.

This may or not be relevant to this particular problem, but the symptoms are very similar. My problem was due to the trigger-bar spring popping out of it's recess. The trigger-bar is on the r/h side of the pistol, and slides to-and-fro underneath the r/h grip. If you remove the grip, you will see the trigger-bar has a "hairpin" type spring which locates into a recess at the bottom of the bar on the rearward end. In my case, the spring had possibly dislocated from this recess when I changed the grip. Once the spring was re-located, the trigger-bar action was back as it should be, and there were no more trigger or mag indexing problems. Might be worth a check.....only takes a few moments to do.

Well managed to take it apart not to difficult to be honest found a snapped spring a missing ball bearing and i think a worn out prawl but have nothing to compare it to.
    So next question is where is the best place for spares.

Whilst its apart is there anything i can do to smooth the action out at all or even increase the power slightly.

Thanks

craig,
    For spares ... TW Chambers, they have a brilliant website with exploded diagram of parts. You say you got it apart ok, putting it back together is not so simple. You have to make sure that certain parts are in a certain position or it will not go back together. I think there may be a strip down guide on the forum somewhere.
    To make it smoother I lube all moving/sliding/ pivoting parts with a light teflon grease. Any LIGHT grease will suffice as long as it isn't silicone based.
    Notmuch you do to increase power though

pete.

Strip down guide on the UBC forum HERE
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it