Thread: BSA Cadet with a .22 barrell marked 22FX

BSA Cadet with a .22 barrell marked 22FX

Hi

I have a BSA Cadet with .22 barrel marked 22FX, does anyone have any idea exactly what this is, I have heard that this may of been a prototype of some description as I thought Cadets were in .177 only

Any thoughts, ideas or facts would be most welcome.

Cheers chaps

Neil
    Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it.

Hello Neil,

All my reference sources agree that the BSA Cadet was only ever available in .177 calibre.

It appears that this was also true of the later Cadet Major although an experimental example was apparently produced in .22. The cylinder size and swept air volume proved to be insufficient to give any useful performance in the larger calibre with this example so the option was not commercially pursued. It was not until 1959 in fact that BSA produced a break-barrel air rifle (Meteor) in .22 calibre.

Hope this helps a bit whilst not providing an explanation for your unusual calibre rifle. Perhaps a .22 barrel from a different model has been adapted to fit the Cadet.

Regard

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 28-06-2013 at 06:28 PM.

bsa cadet with 22fx barrel

Yip bud i saw it at auction but as there was no available paperwork ref its origin i passed. Knibbs have a 22 cal barrel listed for as cadet major but as already stated it takes a fair amount of air to move a 22 pellet at usable rate. It may have been someone playing around to try out ideas.

never new they made one in .22, well live and learn

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Neil,

All my reference sources agree that the BSA Cadet was only ever available in .177 calibre.

It appears that this was also true of the later Cadet Major although an experimental example was apparently produced in .22. The cylinder size and swept air volume proved to be insufficient to give any useful performance in the larger calibre with this example so the option was not commercially pursued. It was not until 1959 in fact that BSA produced a break-barrel air rifle (Meteor) in .22 calibre.

Hope this helps a bit whilst not providing an explanation for your unusual calibre rifle. Perhaps a .22 barrel from a different model has been adapted to fit the Cadet.

Regard

Brian

Hi Brian

Well the plot thickens, the rifle is in fact a BSA Cadet Major, and according to the serial number it was made 1947 - 49. The stock has been shortened and the air chamber has also been shortened by 25mm, the barrel is also a smooth bore .22. From the information I have been able to uncover it was made in the BSA factory, I am not sure if it was an official prototype or a lunchtime special by a bored employee.

Where did you get the information about an experimental Cadet Major? it would appear on the face of it that I have one of those experiments.

Regards

Neil
    Last edited by jotaman; 03-07-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: update

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jotaman View Post
    Hi Brian

Well the plot thickens, the rifle is in fact a BSA Cadet Major, and according to the serial number it was made 1947 - 49. The stock has been shortened and the air chamber has also been shortened by 25mm, the barrel is also a smooth bore .22. From the information I have been able to uncover it was made in the BSA factory, I am not sure if it was an official prototype or a lunchtime special by a bored employee.

Where did you get the information about an experimental Cadet Major? it would appear on the face of it that I have one of those experiments.

Regards

Neil
    Hello Neil,

The information relating to the Cadet Major came from "The Golden Century" (John Knibbs) so a respected source. The book also states that only one experimental Cadet Major was produced in .22 and that very few standard .177 examples were produced with smooth bores which was indicated by the letters SB after the Ser No.

It's probably more likely that your rifle was assembled by a private individual using non-standard parts from various sources.

Regards

Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Neil,

The information relating to the Cadet Major came from "The Golden Century" (John Knibbs) so a respected source. The book also states that only one experimental Cadet Major was produced in .22 and that very few standard .177 examples were produced with smooth bores which was indicated by the letters SB after the Ser No.

It's probably more likely that your rifle was assembled by a private individual using non-standard parts from various sources.

Regards

Brian.
    Brian

I agree, I have seen the barrel that is for sale by J knibbs, the barrel I have is not the same as the one I have, the information on the origin comes from the vendor who assures me that it was made in the BSA factory, however it may not of been an official prototype, maybe a mockup prior to getting on cast?

regards

Neil

Brian

I agree, I have seen the barrel that is for sale by J knibbs, the barrel I have is not the same as the one I have, the information on the origin comes from the vendor who assures me that it was made in the BSA factory, however it may not of been an official prototype, maybe a mockup prior to getting on cast?

regards

Neil
    Hi Neil,

Still a very fascinating and unique rifle with a history that's anybody's guess which can only add to the interest.

Regards

Brian

If you could put some photos up it would give us all a better idear to form an opion of it.

regards,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    If you could put some photos up it would give us all a better idear to form an opion of it.

regards,
    Mick.
    Will get some up soon, all comments welcome (be nice)

Photos at last

Hi all

I have finally resolved my photobucket access issue, the link to the album is http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/neilhardy1/library/

I have photographed the .22 against a .177 for comparison, she sure is an odd little critter.

Comments/thoughts welcome

regards

Neil

Hi all

I have finally resolved my photobucket access issue, the link to the album is http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/neilhardy1/library/

I have photographed the .22 against a .177 for comparison, she sure is an odd little critter.

Comments/thoughts welcome

regards

Neil
    Hi Neil l think you will find that the top one is a cadet-major which had the addjustable rear sights and a bigger airchamber hence the differance size, it looks to me like someone as put a .22 barrel on the cadet for what ever reason.
    regards,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi Neil l think you will find that the top one is a cadet-major which had the addjustable rear sights and a bigger airchamber hence the differance size, it looks to me like someone as put a .22 barrel on the cadet for what ever reason.
    regards,
    Mick.

Hi Mick

I would agree with you if the serial number on the chamber was for a cadet, in fact the serial number on the chamber is from a cadet major which indicates that the whole thing has been modified.

This is definitely a modified cadet major.

ATB

Neil