Thread: reblueing the trigger shroud assembly on a webley service air rifle

reblueing the trigger shroud assembly on a webley service air rifle

Ive heard from alot of people that you can tell when one of these has been reblued .as the trigger housing goes brown.
    the cast trigger/sear housing actually differs in its material construction to the other parts of the gun which are either machined or tubular steel . trouble with a casting is that it tends to act like a sponge , due to the porosity of the metal . as reblueing ( the type ive tried , anyway) requires running water after each application to neutralise the reaction & inhibit rust , the water tends to sit in the outer most part of the metal & is not possible to wipe completely away, even though it appears that it is dry . so if you are contemplating a reblueing of one of these cool rifles , best thing to do ... after the final blue application & wash off , is to dry with paper & then put the part immediatly in a domestic oven at about 150 degrees C for 20-30 minutes . this will dry out the casting fully . when it cools down enough to touch it , wipe with some of that stuff in the sachet ( that birchwood casey sell ) or oil of some kind & next day it wont be brown & rusty but the same colour as the rest of the air rifle . easy .

I find the plum colour of some of the the trigger blocks on Webley Service rifles to be quite an attractive feature, along with the similar colour on some of the Webley Junior trigger block/strap castings.
    I was told many years ago by a Webley contact that this colour was the result of different castings from various manufacturers reacting in different ways with the blueing salts, which is why some are 'Plum' and some are not.

Most(if not all) 1st Pattern MK2 Service Rifles had plumb coloured trigger housings from new, or the 50 odd that I have seen did....

This one has not been refinished

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...rdSmith004.jpg
    Last edited by Binners; 17-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.

nice that the plum colour is on the back strap too , cheers for the info on the guy who makes ball reservoirs, by the way . he made me two in the end . I think a complete webley service would look nice in plum brown ...or better still a mask off in sections & etched & then a faux damascus twist pattern all over ... just to annoy the purists .

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Most(if not all) 1st Pattern MK2 Service Rifles had plumb coloured trigger housings from new, or the 50 odd that I have seen did....

This one has not been refinished

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...rdSmith004.jpg
    I reckon that's an effect caused by galvanic reaction from the coat hanger metal (combined with creosote fumes) from hanging on the fence "display area"

(regular readers of this section will understand what I mean),

Aside from that, she looks a beauty!

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I reckon that's an effect caused by galvanic reaction from the coat hanger metal (combined with creosote fumes) from hanging on the fence "display area"

(regular readers of this section will understand what I mean),

Aside from that, she looks a beauty!

ATB, Ed

Ah, you must be referring to my 'Display Area' that is awaiting copyright

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...Photo-0001.jpg