Thread: Best barrel length for precision target shooting

Best barrel length for precision target shooting

Hi
    I have purchased a A400 carbine with a 395mm length barrel fitted into a MPR stock which I intend to use for NSRA precision target shooting, as per the MPR Precision model. with front and rear target sights. I also have a A400 Classic with the longer 494mm barrel and a higher capacity air reservoir tube which I had planned now to sell.

As I need to make the rifle as accurate as possible would I be better off fitting the Classic action and barrel assembly into the MPR stock and then selling the A400 as a Carbine instead?

I have been told that the longer barrel will make it more accurate due to the distance between the sights but that it will also make it more prone to errors due to hand shake, etc.

What would be your advice?
    Cheers
    Gerry
    Daystate Air Wolf .177, AA400 Classic in MPR stock, Logun S16s .22, AA TX200 Mk2, Beretta AL391 Ulrika Sporting, Remington 11/87 12 shot slug gun, CZ 452 Style, Marlin 1894C .38 / .357, Ruger 10/22, Anschutz model 54

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    It's certainly true that the greater distance between the rear and foresight will help with accuracy,but I would recommend trying both out before deciding which one to sell,some people find that they can shoot more accurately with a heavier rifle whereas others prefer a lighter one,also rifle fit is very important,one may fit you better than the other,so experiment with both.

Good shooting

Neale
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

NSRA precision target shooting
    What is this? Do you mean 10m air rifle shooting, or do you intend to compete in the prone leagues using an air rifle, or are you hoping to use it for bench rest, or is your intention to participate in Lightweight Sport Rifle, or maybe what you meant is Precision Sporter Air Rifle? I am not being picky, but you need to use the correct terms if you are seeking the correct answers.

Assuming that you intend to compete in 10m air rifle then the most important factors will be the stock configuration, weight and centre of gravity of the rifle. It is the combination of these parameters that will ultimately affect the stability of your position and that will be the main factor in determining the performance outcome. Or, to put it another way the rifle is likely to outshoot you until you can consistently score 545-550.

In summary, there is a great deal more to it than effective sight radius and many other things that are more important.

Rutty

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    I took it to mean sporter air rifle Rutty....could be wrong though
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Hi Rutty
    I should have put " as per the MPR 10m precision model" as that is what I intend to shoot.
    I am aware of all the other parameters that will effect to overall performance of my shooting but what I am trying to do is start off with the best possible rifle I can make up from the two I have.
    Many thanks
    Gerry
    Last edited by drummer; 25-08-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Daystate Air Wolf .177, AA400 Classic in MPR stock, Logun S16s .22, AA TX200 Mk2, Beretta AL391 Ulrika Sporting, Remington 11/87 12 shot slug gun, CZ 452 Style, Marlin 1894C .38 / .357, Ruger 10/22, Anschutz model 54

what I am trying to do is start off with the best possible rifle I can make up from the two I have.
    Step 1. Test both barrels by clamping them in a vice on a stable base in the stock you intend to use. Fire 4x10 shot strings from each barrel with 1 minute between shots and taking particular care to ensure that the trigger operation is consistent. Use this opportunity to assess which trigger is the better of the two.

Step 2. Repeat the procedure with one or two different batches of pellet to confirm the results obtained in Step 1.

Step 3. Select the barrel that consistently produces the best series of groups, not just the smallest single 10 shot group.

Step 4. Put the best trigger on the best barrel and repeat Step 1 with the best batch of pellets to confirm your selection.

You must ensure that the conditions for each test are consistent and you start from the same cylinder pressure each time.

The trigger performance is a critical element and I recommend checking it with a dynamometer to assess its consistency. It should be capable of consistent operation down to 200g or less.

Rutty

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

target

If you wish to do 10 mt you would probably be better off selling both rifles which are really sporting based rifles and buying for similar money a pure target rifle with a better trigger and a target action and barrel, and complete with sights. Even an older one such as FWB 600 series or a Walther LGR would be better advised.
    Best of luck
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?