Thread: Webley versus Steyr shock!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I still luv yer Mike. I think your current lack of Wobbly ownership is clouding fellow members judgement.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    I didn't think I needed to own a Wobbly to be accepted as an adjudicator. I thought my lack of bias would be welcomed
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    I didn't think I needed to own a Wobbly to be accepted as an adjudicator. I thought my lack of bias would be welcomed
    We all still luv you Mike, but your lack of patriotic purchasing cannot be ignored, nor some may say forgiven ;-)
    Plus I like the deck stacked in my favour :-)
    Wobbly

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    A bit of an update on the "Target Tempest". A set and a half of Airgunner .177 grips arrived the other day. They are an unfinished Ambi set and a spare left with a thumb shelf for a right hander. I'll get round to doing a few finger grooves and then get the tru oil out.

I nicked the .177 barrel off my nieces Tempest to try on the pistol. Obviously the sights needed adjusting both for elevation and windage. ( I think the Webley forsights are not the best finished of items).
    Once I'd adjusted the sights, I was getting some decent groups at 7 1/2 yards. The light was poor and I was shooting at a few circles drawn on an envelope. I think maybe the Hurricane rearsight blade is a fraction too narrow and does not give a great sight picture, especially in poor light. I'm not tempted to open it up a bit with a file.
    The trigger feels good and very little recoil with the pistol. I think that maybe, the piston head could be made a mm or so longer and you will still have enough power in .177 for paper punching. I've noticed this gun is harder to cock than my nieces Tempest that just has a cut down Typhoon spring. That is more punchy and has a faster firing cycle and is more fun to plink with. I think the Tempest rearsight blade, which is a bit wide, actually gives a better sight picture than the Hurricane sight in most circumstances, but a slightly narrower cut out might be better.
    So really it is down to taste and feel for sorting out one of these more seriously than I have done.
    I think in .177, a 12 or maybe even 13mm long head might be the thing. I'm also thinking that a cut down Typhoon spring makes the gun easier to cock and just seems to feel better. Maybe a bit of work on a rearsight and some sort of adapter to screw into the end of the barrel ( using a Hurricane barrel) could give better sight pictures.
    When the .22 barrel was replaced and the sights adjusted, the pistol shot very well.
    For fun, I prefer the .22 standard stroke Tempest fitted with the Typhoon spring. I'm rather taken with the firing cycle of the .177 that has the standard stroke and cut down mainspring.
    Anyway, that is about as much info as I can provide so it it up to the Wobbly boys to sort out one of their guns to the sort of specs that suits them best.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

You must bring it up to Rivi some time to let the Wobbly Fans, both of them, have a go with it.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thats a good idea Ian. You could sit in the naughty corner while we all play with our beautiful and deadly accurate Wobblies.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Thats a good idea Ian. You could sit in the naughty corner while we all play with our beautiful and deadly accurate Wobblies.
    Andy
    Have a little chat with I. J. about the reason for his post above - and keep clear of Hippo when you do
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal