Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
I wonder if this is where I went wrong - I went right up to 800 then a final pass with some 1000?
I also used 36% hydrochloric acid. I figured it would reduce rusting times - didnt even work!
Hi Donald

I doubt if your metal finish had anything to do with your piece not rusting.

There are a few things that could have stopped your piece rusting : -

Was the piece absolutely clean with no oil on it, as any small amount of oil will stop rust forming.

Was the air damp where you had your set up --- damp air will lower the amount of acid fumes in the air.

Was the place you had your set up cold, as this slows the acid fumes being given off.

Was your acid in a small container giving a small surface area --- the bigger the surface area the more fumes you get.

As I don't know all the answers myself I have been having a bit of a play today with my expensive, newly finished, heated fume cabinet : -

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/...2032012545.jpg

The reliable forming of the rust is the difficult part at this time of year so I had a little experiment with another liquid which I know will rust metal.
I have rubbed this liquid on to a second test piece to see if it works --- best of all this liquid costs nothing and most folks can get it fresh everyday.

I'll let you know how it works out.

All the best Mick