Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full power BSA meteor....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Full power BSA meteor....

Just overhauling mine today... machined an HW seal carrier with the male nipple that fits into the keyhole in the face of the factory piston (no buffer needed)... good thing there is you can swap between factory and HW heads in seconds. Adds about 2mm stroke which can't be bad, still easily clearing the cocking link.

26mm HW seal fits straight in perfect no sizing, slightly tight.

Added a 20g steel TH as the piston is clearly quite light. Bog standard well used std spring, gun is doing 10FP with 16 grains, 10.6 with 12 grain hobbies (.22)

I made no attempt to actually get it up to 11+ FP, but adding another 10-15g of piston weight, plus a little preload, would easily get you there...

HTH - JB
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 29-05-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typos

As my first "proper" air rifle, at 14, (the very first was a Relum Junior 822? ), I've always had a soft spot for the Meteor, having shot a few bunnies with it and lots of rats around the barns.

However, once I was stripping them down a few years later, the poor internal quality of the cylinder and piston always put me off a little. And the rough trigger etc!

Getting a Meteor to produce decent power is very achievable, as per your fettling, John Bowkett's old conversions and many other home enthusiasts successful upgrading.

Cheers for sharing with us, John. You never know, I may fall for its charms again one day.

Although, having said that, and I know it'll be lower powered, I prefer the old school and much more solid feel of the Cadet.

Mmmm.....wonder if anyone'd want to swap one for a Crosman 140?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

It shoots quite nicely now, trigger needs a bit of adjustment, and I'd be much happier with a breech bolt rather than a pin, but for minimal outlay and effort this is a good enhancement as it takes out all the slam - o-rings and crap quality cylinders don't mix very well - with a useful power boost.

So I couldn't resist, and invested another hour of my time on the BSA today...

1) Made up a coke can piston sleeve
    2) spent a few minutes with a dowel wrapped in wet n dry cleaning up the compression cylinder
    3) opened out the port from ~2.7 to 3.0
    4) slightly radiused the inside edge of the port using a c-sink bit wedged in a long bit of pipe
    5) tightened up the breach employing the "squeeze it up a bit in a vice" method
    6) degreased and relubed it properly

Definitely shoots better, power now as follows:

10.5 with 16 grains
    11.0 with 14.5 grains
    11.3 with 12 grain hobbies

Now I either need to open the port out to 3.2, or add a little piston weight to get it perfect; however it shoots quite nicely as is, so if it's accurate with any of the light/medium weight pellets, I'll probably just leave it alone

ATB - JB

Excellent work and brilliant information, Jon.

What variant Meteor is it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Excellent work and brilliant information, Jon.

What variant Meteor is it?
    Cheers - think it's a 5 or 6 - fairly modern. I might bring it along to the bash for when I tire of holding up TXs
    One finger cocking and I can shoot it at arm's length like a pistol

Wish you'd stop it and behave!

I'm feeling a very strong urge to get one of these, now, maybe swapping the Crosman 140?????

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I'd be much happier with a breech bolt rather than a pin
    I can sort you out with one of them (Mercury-S) but you will have to find your own nut and washer and it will involve a bit of machining.. Think I have found the FWB white line plastic nasty. Will chuck them in the post.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Wish you'd stop it and behave!

I'm feeling a very strong urge to get one of these, now, maybe swapping the Crosman 140?????
    I have two BSA Meteors (one with special guide and tophat), a piston head converter for HW washers, a leather washer piston head carrier, two machined-flat 'O' ring heads, sights, springs, Mercury-S bolt and nut, etc etc.. all you could want for experimenting with the Meteor, just never getting round to it, would swap the lot for a Crosman 140.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I can sort you out with one of them (Mercury-S) but you will have to find your own nut and washer and it will involve a bit of machining.. Think I have found the FWB white line plastic nasty. Will chuck them in the post.
    Cool Al, thanks What does the nut even look like ? Never seen an S

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Cool Al, thanks What does the nut even look like ? Never seen an S
    It is a standard Metric size, M5 or something, you'll have to do a bit of countersinking either side to get it to fit but the bolt is the right diameter.

It is a standard Metric size, M5 or something, you'll have to do a bit of countersinking either side to get it to fit but the bolt is the right diameter.
    Ahh perfect, yes please then

I have two BSA Meteors (one with special guide and tophat), a piston head converter for HW washers, a leather washer piston head carrier, two machined-flat 'O' ring heads, sights, springs, Mercury-S bolt and nut, etc etc.. all you could want for experimenting with the Meteor, just never getting round to it, would swap the lot for a Crosman 140.
    You're on, Al.

I thought you were going to the Bash this year, but couldn't spot your name on the list.

The 140 isn't nice, brief description on the thread on the Sales Section.....Being honest, I feel that I'm winning on this. So, if you decided not to give me all of that lot, I'd still be happy.

PM?

You're on, Al.

I thought you were going to the Bash this year, but couldn't spot your name on the list.

The 140 isn't nice, brief description on the thread on the Sales Section.....Being honest, I feel that I'm winning on this. So, if you decided not to give me all of that lot, I'd still be happy.

PM?
    My masters are opening a new business and my manager had to swap a weekend with me and it bumped the Bash for me.. I'll have a look at the ad. Jon might be able to bring the stuff up to the Bash and do the swap. Will a 140 be allowed on site though?

My masters are opening a new business and my manager had to swap a weekend with me and it bumped the Bash for me.. I'll have a look at the ad. Jon might be able to bring the stuff up to the Bash and do the swap. Will a 140 be allowed on site though?
    That's a shame re the Bash.

If still interested, I can bring it along. Jon could give it a look over and ring you with an accurate description from the Bash site. I know nice ones are pretty good news. This one's not nice, but it's all there. Cosmetics not nice (and stock "relieved" to allow fitment of scope rails) and will need a seal or two, especially the exhaust valve which, I seem to remember, Mick says is a little awkward to do?

Just not my cup of tea and not nearly enough time to play.

I think Uncle Mick will be okay with a 140 on site...(a) it doesn't work at present and (b) I think he has a little bit of a soft spot for them.

We'll see how it all pans out....if you decide it's not for you, no problem at all.