Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Co2 Pistols

Another vote for the smith 78g my favorite co2

But i dont have a crosman 600 yet

Quote Originally Posted by fatiboyjoe View Post
    Another vote for the smith 78g my favorite co2

But i dont have a crosman 600 yet
    I used to shoot a S&W Mod 41 .22 rimfire sem-auto pistol before the 1995 breech loading pistol ban and the 78 /79 G models come pretty close to replicating the experience except of course for the single shot limitation.

Regards

Brian

What a cracking collection and all in excellent clarity too - thanks for sharing the link Brian.

Like Trevor, I find the literature as fascinating as the guns themselves, only somewhat rarer, as the robust prices already mentioned for Webley items demonstrates. I can certainly see the attraction of Crosman products and accessories....

John

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I used to shoot a S&W Mod 41 .22 rimfire sem-auto pistol before the 1995 breech loading pistol ban and the 78 /79 G models come pretty close to replicating the experience except of course for the single shot limitation.

Regards

Brian
    While it is great fun to blast off a string of shots in the 600, I've never found single shot shooting to be a drawback - perhaps because I grew up at a time when a single shot springer was all that was available.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    While it is great fun to blast off a string of shots in the 600, I've never found single shot shooting to be a drawback - perhaps because I grew up at a time when a single shot springer was all that was available.

Ian
    Very true Ian,

Single shot shooting forces you to concentrate on each shot, whereas rapid fire can result in poorer technique, as that impish voice at the back of your mind tells you to shoot as fast as you can because there are plenty of follow up shots ready and waiting.

That being said, it does not make the 600 any the less fun and I have not used a CO2 pistol before or since, which was capable of dropping 5 Nockover skittles so quickly. The attraction of the 600 is undoubtedly the genuine semi auto action, which is rarely encountered on air pistols. It actually works with the right pellets and my old 600, which I stupidly sold many years ago had a very nice trigger with a relatively light pull as I recall. Certainly far superior to those found on modern double action firearm clones.

John

I'm a great fan of true semi-automatics. I have a 600 , a Zavasta 45 ( Drulov clone) and a Brno B96 - the latter two very accurate, but somehow puny in comparison to the 600.

Ian

Thumbs up

Well!!

I bought my second Crosman pistol yesterday, A mod338, I gassed it up and took a few shots with it then put it back in the box..

Came to it a couple of hours later, fired it and it let all the gas go except for a small amount

I just shot it again and it still has the residue of gas still in!

I dabbed the tip of the cart in some Silicone grease that I have (Done it with all my C02 guns) i'll try another and if it vents again I'll buy some Pelgun oil next time

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

The little pistol is in very good condition but may not have been used in years!!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    I guess if the vendor says "original" you take your chances! I've seen the Abbey copies(all marked as repro of course) and I've seen rather anonymous versions ;-)
    At this stage of life I think I love the literature and ephemera as much as I do the guns. What Crosman offered was,variety. They truly had a "golden age" and I fell in love with them. What headaches the boardroom must have suffered before they decided to put the likes of the 451 and 1100 into production.
    Doubt if there were any boardroom headaches at Crosman over the 451 and 1100. These were designed and made during the PY Hahn years and he absolutely loved these types of guns. He carried an 1100 in the trunk (boot) of his car and would bring it out to show people what it could do. Unlike most, PY Hahn understood that the core of his company's success was in the sale of ammo and CO2. Because of that, he didn't mind making guns that didn't produce great returns, as long as folks loved to shoot them and buy Crosman ammo and CO2.

Paper collecting

Many years ago, after assembling a pretty much complete type collection of vintage Crosman air guns, I realized that what was really rare was the Crosman paper. That was the start of my odyssey to find any and all Crosman produced literature. This started well before the internet came around and involved a tremendous amount of legwork. Fortunately, I had a job that involved regular travel. My usual plan was to get the local work done as early as possible then go around to the local shops that sold air guns or were at sometime listed in the Crosman authorized service station lists. Found a lot of stuff that way. Also made hundreds of phone calls to find out what other folks had. Then, when came to be... well, that's another story.

451 Introduction Flyer

Even rarer than the 451 model is this intro flyer.

https://flic.kr/p/nwDTfG

Not sure whether the 677(grey grips on right) is rarer than the 451. Think the Challenger Arms Plainsman is rarer than both in UK (3rd one down on left). Here is a bunch from my collection.

Baz

Great Dean would you please post the reverse side

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Even rarer than the 451 model is this intro flyer.

https://flic.kr/p/nwDTfG
    Nice one!Trev