Thread: CO2 Regulator?

CO2 Regulator?

Hi,

Please forgive my naïve question but is there a regulator available for a CO2 gun or pistol? To me CO2 guns seem very convenient and good performers besides the gradual but large drop in the MV shot by shot.

Regards,

A.G

CO2 is expensive to run, and given it's thermal characteristics, it's not beneficial to regulate as the maximum power available is always at the point the rifle/pistol has a fresh fill of CO2. Once the pressure drops below this point, there is little point in a regulator as there's nothing to keep it at the pressure required.

E.g. A PCP fill is typically 200bar. Most regulators are set in the region of 80-100bar, which means there's always a high pressure before the regulator to keep supplying it. Once it reaches the regulator pressure, the power drops off as it can't provide it anymore.

CO2 pressure is typically 850psi, and as soon as you start shooting, that pressure drops. Since the rifle's power is set for the best available pressure, regulating it would do nothing, as the reg pressure drops with the available pressure being supplied to it.

Best option for CO2 weapons, is to "bulk-fill", which means you are giving the weapon more CO2 in liquid form which has a better chance of sustaining the required pressure for a little longer, but ultimately will be cheaper to use in the long run.
    Ex-Airgunner

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    CO2 is expensive to run, and given it's thermal characteristics, it's not beneficial to regulate as the maximum power available is always at the point the rifle/pistol has a fresh fill of CO2. Once the pressure drops below this point, there is little point in a regulator as there's nothing to keep it at the pressure required.

E.g. A PCP fill is typically 200bar. Most regulators are set in the region of 80-100bar, which means there's always a high pressure before the regulator to keep supplying it. Once it reaches the regulator pressure, the power drops off as it can't provide it anymore.

CO2 pressure is typically 850psi, and as soon as you start shooting, that pressure drops. Since the rifle's power is set for the best available pressure, regulating it would do nothing, as the reg pressure drops with the available pressure being supplied to it.

Best option for CO2 weapons, is to "bulk-fill", which means you are giving the weapon more CO2 in liquid form which has a better chance of sustaining the required pressure for a little longer, but ultimately will be cheaper to use in the long run.
    Thank you for your detailed reply. TBH I had a feeling that regulating a CO2 gun would not be beneficial but you have made it very clear.

Regards,

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Hi,

Please forgive my naïve question but is there a regulator available for a CO2 gun or pistol? To me CO2 guns seem very convenient and good performers besides the gradual but large drop in the MV shot by shot.

Regards,

A.G
    As mentioned above, bulk fill is best with CO2.My FWB Model 2 pistol is very consistent shot to shot fps at around 520 and I get so many shots from a 40 grm fill I give up counting. I fill from a 2 kg fire extinguisher which costs me £10 and lasts a couple of years.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post

To my knowledge, this is incorrect.

After a fill, the majority of the CO2 in the gun will be in liquid form. When it is shot, a small amount of this liquid will evaporate to maintain the pressure. However, the energy used to evaporate the liquid for the next shot will lower the temperature somewhat. This will lower the pressure a touch, but once the gun absorbs heat from your hand and the surroundings, the pressure will be exactly the same as it was before the shot - for as long as there is liquid CO2 present.

So CO2 guns are self-regulating to this extent. Rapid firing will cause the temperature and therefore the power to drop. Cold weather will cause stubborn low power.

An effective regulator for a CO2 pistol or rifle could consist of:
    A USB power bank.
    A thermostat, set to approx 20c.
    A 5V 4W Flexible Silicone Rubber Heater Heating Plate Pad.
    A little ingenuity, tape and a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by clunge View Post
    To my knowledge, this is incorrect.

After a fill, the majority of the CO2 in the gun will be in liquid form. When it is shot, a small amount of this liquid will evaporate to maintain the pressure. However, the energy used to evaporate the liquid for the next shot will lower the temperature somewhat. This will lower the pressure a touch, but once the gun absorbs heat from your hand and the surroundings, the pressure will be exactly the same as it was before the shot - for as long as there is liquid CO2 present.

So CO2 guns are self-regulating to this extent. Rapid firing will cause the temperature and therefore the power to drop. Cold weather will cause stubborn low power.

An effective regulator for a CO2 pistol or rifle could consist of:
    A USB power bank.
    A thermostat, set to approx 20c.
    A 5V 4W Flexible Silicone Rubber Heater Heating Plate Pad.
    A little ingenuity, tape and a soldering iron.
    Funny you should list all those things, I asked nick from magic9design about the feasibility of sticking the element from a lock de-icer, to the co2 bulb and fix a small battery in the housing somewhere with a pressure switch on the grip, he said it would be better to fix the element to the co2 valve to keep it warm that way if liquid co2 is sucked into the valve, it will evaporate there and increase power.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

CO2 doesnt nééd a regulator as pcp does. For the simple reason its self-regulating.
    After each shot it boils off co2 to ensure the pressure remains the same.
    Temperature sensitivity is WAY exagerated and doesnt play a role in matchguns. TC done some testing with a simple cheap Tau 7. He didnt get ANY fps variation between 12 en 20C.
    Unfortunately, many people still seem to think that, allthough they never even owned one themselves.
    The 1996 Olympics record was shot with a CO2 Pardini. And yes, there wére already pcp's available at that time.
    Temperature sensitivity is a thing on cheap crosmans and 7.5J+ guns, because, if you require more power, this will decrease the co2's self-regulation possibilities.
    I'm in favor of co2 as well, allthough I also own co2.
    I feel, co2 bulbs as best, as my co2's dont have a removable reservoir to put in the fridge
    Even with detachable reservoirs, I dont like bulk fill.
    ATB,
    yana

I've often pondered on the original question & thought that it might be beneficial to regulate & tune to somewhere about 750 psi, which would then give consistent pressure with higher & lower temperatures, yes, Co2 is 'self-regulating' in as much as it only turns to gas when pressure is below +/- 850 psi but, if the ambient temperature is high, then the pressure will be higher (it may not change much between 12 & 20 degrees C, but above 20 degrees, the pressure will increase, to a maximum of approx. 1500 psi).
    The thought would be (possibly) a 'double chamber', where the first chamber keeps any liquid Co2 away from the second (regulating) chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    I've often pondered on the original question & thought that it might be beneficial to regulate & tune to somewhere about 750 psi, which would then give consistent pressure with higher & lower temperatures, yes, Co2 is 'self-regulating' in as much as it only turns to gas when pressure is below +/- 850 psi but, if the ambient temperature is high, then the pressure will be higher (it may not change much between 12 & 20 degrees C, but above 20 degrees, the pressure will increase, to a maximum of approx. 1500 psi).
    The thought would be (possibly) a 'double chamber', where the first chamber keeps any liquid Co2 away from the second (regulating) chamber.
    http://www.co2airguns.net/collection..._Temp_data.htm
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php