Thread: Webley Hawk repair project...

Webley Hawk repair project...

Last edited by Clifftop; 20-02-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    Non Nobis Solum Sed Toti Mundo Nati.

Co-founder of "Treats4BritishTroops"

Mk 1 hawk is the safety catch missing? I used to have one back in the day I loved it and bagged many a pigeon and rat with it I loved the way the barrel came out with a turn of the screw in the breech so I could put in up my coat and sneak out without anyone knowing I was only 14 or so The mk2 hawk barrels screwed out

Should there be a safety catch? If so, where?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    It is a Hawk Mk1. There should be a strip down guide in the "Idiots guide" sticky at the top of the page.
    It looks rough and the sights and safety are missing, and also the pin hole on the cylinder looks stretched (a common problem), so not worth much or spending much on.
    I have never thought of taking the safety off one of these, but if the trigger works ok without it, then I would leave it off as they ARE DANGEROUS. If you forget to knock the safety off, pull the trigger and THEN knock the safety off, the gun will go off
    The rearsight on the Hawk mk1 was a dreadful plastic thing REALLY prone to breaking. They are hard to get hold of now and that is probably doing you a favour.
    If that cylinder pin hole is stretched, then a slightly larger pin could be fitted. On a Hawk mk3 I drilled and filed the cylinder and end plug to take a BSA Meteor pin---bloody hard going that was
    The cylinder on the Hawk Mk1 is shorter than the Hawk Mk2 or 3 although they all have the same mainspring. Normally on a Hawk, a Bsa Meteor Mk1-Mk5 mainspring fits better than a Webley spring, but as that cylinder pin is worn, I would be tempted to try a Diana 25 mainspring, which will give about 6ft lb.
    I have not looked at all the pics, but if you have a Ptfe piston washer, I would get rid of it and make a leather one, as the Ptfe ones can have absorbed 40 years of all sorts of mineral oils and can diesel like hell.
    On the sight front, Pell pax are selling the Webley speedpoint reflex sights for about £9 posted. I think they will go on a rifle.
    Make a low powered plinker out of it and have fun.
    Last edited by ggggr; 21-02-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Thanks for that ggggr, you certainly know your stuff. There are bits missing from this rifle, I'm hoping Mallyally on here will have a look at it for me. It might be a no go but we'll see.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Do my eyes spy a secondary spring inside your mainspring? If it has got two springs, that explains the exessive stretching of the cylinder end plug pin holes. Yours is the worst case I've seen.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.