Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to remove rust from blueing?

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    What a transformation! You must be well pleased.
    Hi Turnup

I was happy as Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The colortone on that mk2 looks great! What did you use for staining it John, if i may ask? cheers

Hi Dutch, I didn't stain it, Just around eight coats of blo rubbed in by hand!

I'll bet this stock was gorgeous when new

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    If its rust spots or patches in between good blue. Get a copper 2p coin and some gun oil, like PH Express or 3 in 1.
    Place a blob of oil on the rusty spot and rub away at it with the 2p coin. You will quickly get very good results this way without damaging the blue, as you get with wire wool. Some people use a dremel with a tiny copper brush instead.
    I've heard something like that for shotguns using a Farthing, but I've never tried it. Now you've reminded me about it I'll give it a shot.

It's worth noting that copper coins are usually plated steel nowadays, so you'd be better getting a pre decimal penny or half penny, or maybe a bit of copper pipe offcut?

Thumbs up

I'm pretty sure that our copper coins aren't actually copper any more as they are attracted to a magnet!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I've never yet encountered a painted Scorpion pistol and have lost count of the number I have handled and repaired over the years, since I first bought a brand new one in 1974 from Thomas Turner in Reading.
    Ahh, looks like these were repainted at some time in their ancient life then... I only have two... I just figured it was original as it looked like the finish you get on some meteors (don't tell me these were all suposed to be blued too )
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

No, to the best of my knowledge some Meteors were painted.

This copper coin malarky - Are you supposed to use it edge on?

And yep, according to my fridge magnet, the modern 2p is magnetic as north...

Tried the oil and fine wire wool technique. Worked amazingly well- a real transformation. In fact I found with plenty of oil you could rub pretty hard without damaging the blueing. OK the finish is not 'as new' but the improvement is such that it looks like a different pistol!
    Thanks for the tip.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    This copper coin malarky - Are you supposed to use it edge on?

And yep, according to my fridge magnet, the modern 2p is magnetic as north...
    Yes l use it edge on, and on light/heavy pitting it will leave some copper in the pitting, you can either leave it in or remove it to your taste.