Thread: Webley Target Mk 11 "rarity " ?

Webley Target Mk 11 "rarity " ?

It often claimed in ads for Target Mk11s that they are rare.
    Has anybody done an estimate of the numbers made?

The Gordon Bruce book states they were made between 1925 and 1930 with serials ranging from 10,000 to 40,000 which they shared with the Mk 1 which complicates things no end and if you throw in the likely slowing of sales due to the Depression years is not helpful.

Any estimates or semi-educated guesses?

I wouldn't have said they are 'rare' in the UK, more like scarce.
    I've had four during my collecting years and can't remember the serial number of a superb boxed example I sold some years ago, but the serial numbers I do have on record range from 14154 to 29829, the latter being a 'Stoeger' example which I sold a while ago.

Very roughly, around 10,000 Mk 11 Target pistols are believed to have been made, alongside 40,000 or so Mk 1s. Both pistols shared the same serial number range, so these figures are estimates rather than fact.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

mk11 target.

Adding to the thread, i have two mk11. targets in my collection.One is a A.F. STOEGER stamped target mint condition
    allthough refinished to a superb high as new finish,complete in its fitted wooden case with .177. & .22 barrels green &
    orange oblong pellet tins . serial number. 21642.
    The second one is a minty boxed [repro box] second pattern .177. serial No. 24984.
    I still have not learnt how to put up pics.
    Roly.

I believe I read somewhere that the Mk2 Target was produced in similar numbers to the'Straight Grip' Senior although as already stated, it can only be an estimate.

Although the Mk2 Target did represent a slight upgrade for the more aspiring pistol shooter, I much prefer the slightly later 'Straight Grip' Senior which brought that all important extra cocking link making this action so much easier to perform.

Regards

Brian

target model

i sold 16287 in 22 24232 in 177 and 30584 in 177 all sold this year and have 3 left so no that rare but they are like buses

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    There are also 2 types of Mk11 Target pistol, one of which only dismantles from the front, l belive these are the rarer type.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    There are also 2 types of Mk11 Target pistol, one of which only dismantles from the front, l belive these are the rarer type.
    It is the other way 'round.
    According to the book Webley Air Pistols, by Gordon Bruce, the Mark II target variant with the screw-in breech plug was produced from around SN 38500 on. The Mark II was phased out at somewhere beyond SN 39000, with the introduction of the Senior.
    I was fortunate to have just recently added one of these late Mark II variants to my collection.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...in+breech+plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    According to the book Webley Air Pistols, by Gordon Bruce, the Mark II target variant with the screw-in breech plug was produced from around SN 38500 on. The Mark II was phased out at somewhere beyond SN 39000, with the introduction of the Senior.
    I was fortunate to have just recently added one of these late Mark II variants to my collection.
    Nice addition Len.

I collated serial numbers for the Mk11 as part of the research I undertook for my articles on these classics, which were published in Airgun World a little while ago. The change from flat back to breech screw came in some time between SN 36933, which has the flat back and 37421, which strips from both ends. As with all serial manufacture, there will undoubtedly be some cross over but roughly speaking, the change happened when numbering reached around 37000.

The highest SN for a Mk 11 known to me is 39284. Anybody know of a later one?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I wonder why Webley chose to fit a small screw to secure the barrel catch on the earlier MK 2 Targets rather than the usual pin. I can't really see the need to remove the catch on a regular basis, so would have thought this to be an unnecessary feature. I know they quickly reverted to the pin, but it's curious that thought it worth fitting the screw first.

Regards

Brian

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardj View Post
    You are quite correct l should read my Bruce's more often, l had always got in my head from my early days of collecting 1986 that the ones which only striped from the front, were the later ones as that was what mine was at the time. as l had thought that it must have been some sought of cost cutting measure by Webley to save time and man power with having to machine the rear plug out and cut the thread ect, how wrong l was.
    l now find l am lucky to have 2 of the late variants one of which is a Stoeger with the checkered grips se/no 38119, the other 38408.

Thank you for the various estimates
    My reading has given me spread from 5000 to 10000 but I am inclined to think the early run of Seniors gives the best estimate as of course they were the replacement for the deluxe Target Mk11
    So hardly rare, it is worth remembering that even if a firearm is rare the number you have or have seen is not indicative
    I collect Lee enfield rifles, the rarest is the NZ Carbine or rather the Magazine Lee Enfield fitted for a pat 1888 bayonet, there were only 1500 made though none under 100 have been seen
    They are rare but I own 3 and I have seen 100s. Yes but I live in NZ though most were sold surplus to the USA. so you see what you are looking for

I have purchased at auction a Target Mk11, have not got it in my hands yet but the serial is said to be 38847, obviously a late but not the last
    Auction picture, bottom righthand corner
    http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...psi36d1nvx.jpg
    Last edited by RayinNZ; 11-05-2016 at 09:56 PM.