Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
I was in the CCF during the Falklands so regular training staff were super cool.
I did Recruits in '86 which was done in the old heavy kit.
The 70's DPM is still great camo, still the most "ally". Sadly the contract dispute changed things, and every contract after '82 the DPM got darker and darker.

Ally was for me Jungle bottoms and Windproof smocks; Arctic or SAS type; the issue pyjamas combats just fell apart. Until '95 issue kit arrived combats were all yuck. "95 was quite good, but then they changed to MTP. I've been out a long while; no idea if the boys like the new stuff or not.
From a "black sack" I acquired a ventile DPM from the Trials Team; it eventually died. A bit dark but it worked for field use. Green Norgies were the norm. Matterhorn boots. The windproofs never lasted that long when used as a Brecon ammo pouch.
My Goretex DPM is still doing great service in Scotland. My son has a MTP set in heavy goretex (he is not army, so just for Scotland wet.)

Since then I still shoot, stalking and rough shooting, in a windproof smock. Have them in most colours, most SAS cut. Two ventile, a good few gaberdine, OG Green even; all have NATO numbers bar a Survival Aids ventile. In all kinds of DPM vintage and even in MTP. Its less to be Ally, more I just feel good in them as I run hot. Plus got my son a couple. Then I realised I had a collection!
Generally worn with a tweed cap. Still swear by my Fibrepile, and Ebony Snugpak. Thank god boots have moved on.

My wife thinks I have too much shooting kit; she might be right.

For me it was Danner acadia’s, tropical and a sass kit karry smock with Norwegian although the tropical were banned in Ireland so I switched to a set of wind proofs and arktis chestrig. Still have one of my old para smocks I was issued before we went to Ireland x2 sizes up from normal so we could fit the vest under it to bulk us up for the intimidation factor at vcp’s! Yes I was a kit monster and still buy windproofs and smocks when I see them at car boot sales bought a very nice sniper smock a few years ago that the youngest has claimed.