Thread: A Sporting Tour

A Sporting Tour

One of the questions I got regarding the Staudenmayer was, "Are we really sure that Staudenmayer was making airguns before 1803?"

The reason for this question is..... Meriwether Lewis. Capt. Lewis purchased his airgun in Philadelphia in 1804. Which in the realm of Girandoni type airguns is pretty darn early for the English versions. Of course, the first Austrian version was produced from 1780-1799 in Vienna.

So, the real question: were English-made Girandoni types available prior to 1804? That is, could col. Lewis have purchased an English-made Girandoni?

In his writings, Dr. Beeman has dismissed the possibility of M. Lewis's airgun being English. Apparently he doesn't think the English airgun makers were good enough by then to produce such a weapon so.... of course.... it has to be an original Girandoni according to him. He dates Staudenmayer, the last time I checked, as not opening his shop until 1807.

Well, let's take a Sporting Tour Through France in the year 1802 with col. Thornton.

Vol. 1, p. 37
    "I now thought fit to take my air-rifle, of whose powers my companions had no conception; and conceal myself in the cover. The hounds being brought up, a young wild-boar passed me, when I got a fair shot at him at about fifty yards, and heard the ball hit him, though he did not seem to feel it. However at about thirty yards he began to stagger, and I followed, my gun being re-loaded instantaneously. The keepers now advanced, when we perceived the boar stretched on the turf, and so effectually wounded, that it seemed unnecessary to shoot at him; but in order to try my gun, I took aim at his skull, and he immediately expired. On examining the first wound, it appeared that the ball had passed through his heart; in consequence of which, Colonel Marigny placed a hat in a tree, and requested me to trot his Hungarian horse, and endeavour to hit it at about sixty yards distance. I did as he desired, and very luckily took my aim so true, that the ball passed through the centre of the crown."

"my gun being re-loaded instantaneously" You can only do that with something like a Girandoni type. Thornton is describing shooting a high-powered English repeater air gun in 1802. It's easy to be thrown off when reading Thornton, because the airguns pictured in the plates are simple single shots. They're also the exact same drawings that were used in Encyclopedias for the previous decade or so. Clearly, the guns pictured are not the same guns used by Thornton.

It's pretty clear that if col. Thornton can be shooting an English-made repeater in 1802 that another of the breed could be on it's way to Philadelphia.

Thornton was a customer of Manton, I suspect that his airgun would only have been of the same high quality, i.e. a Staudenmayer.

To stay on Thornton, there's another interesting airgun reference in the second vol.

Vol. 2, p. 59
    "One day in particular, General Mortier, in speaking of air-guns, recalled to the recollection of some officers in company, a circumstance which happened after the retreat of the enemy, but where I cannot precisely call to mind. He said, “ do you not remember when I had ordered the cannon to cease firing, that an orderly serjeant who was standing close to us, leaped up very high into the air, and then fell down ? We supposed, at first, that he was in a fit, and we were greatly astonished to find him dead, as nothing had been heard or seen to injure him. On his being undressed, however, a ball was found to have struck him, which must have been shot from an air-gun in the adjoining field, and aimed at some of us.”—” Yes,” replied one of the officers, “ I remember it well, and I think we had a fortunate escape.” They then stated, that on account of this treachery they hung up all that corps that fell into their hands, considering them not as soldiers, but assassins, and never after gave them any quarter. They acknowledged, at the same time, that they lost many fine men by that corps. . ."

I suspect that this was the original source for some of the later myths that grew up around the Girandoni, (see Baer and Feldhaus) which Feldhaus, interestingly attributed to the Tyrol 1809 uprising. Which is entirely unreasonable since this was told to Thornton in 1802. Mortier wasn't in Tyrol in 1809, instead he was on the fields of Flanders and is describing what happened in 1794. This is the same time that we know for certain that the Austrian army was using Girandoni's in the front line trenches against the French border fortresses (Haller).

Of course, the commander in chief of the English army in 1793-1794 was the Grand Old Duke of York. He was best buddies with gen. Mack, Mr. Austrian Airgun, (see Haller, Hummelberger). There can be no closer connection between the Austrian military air gun designs (there were 2) and England than the DoY. After the debacle of 1794 he lost command but in short order he was back in command and took personal charge of making sure the English army had modern, proper equipment.

So, assuming that the DoY acquired one of the Girandoni's from the field or, more likely, one of the new, improved Nemetz design (see Hummelberger) air rifles what would the Grand Old Duke do? Here, give this a look Mr. Staudenmayer. Would have happened no later than 1795.

On second thought, the Duke would more likely have given the gun to Manton who then would have yelled to his apprentice, "Hey, Staud' come here and take a look at this thing!"
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 28-02-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks for the interesting read. Just a comment about part of your post.

"my gun being re-loaded instantaneously" You can only do that with something like a Girandoni type.

Staudenmeyer made other types of repeater. Many years ago I was shown, in a private collection, a cased Staudenmeyer. It was complete with two sharkskin covered reservoir flasks, muzzle loading smoothbore barrel and rifled barrel with a loading tap for ball. The tap was fed with balls from underneath by a tubular serpentine magazine. The accessories included pump, ball and conical bullet mold plus all the other expected goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Thanks for the interesting read. Just a comment about part of your post.

"my gun being re-loaded instantaneously" You can only do that with something like a Girandoni type.

Staudenmeyer made other types of repeater. Many years ago I was shown, in a private collection, a cased Staudenmeyer. It was complete with two sharkskin covered reservoir flasks, muzzle loading smoothbore barrel and rifled barrel with a loading tap for ball. The tap was fed with balls from underneath by a tubular serpentine magazine. The accessories included pump, ball and conical bullet mold plus all the other expected goodies.
    Yes, Staudenmayer, almost uniquely of the London gunmakers, produced advanced variations on the Girandoni theme. He was in business for about 30 years. My contention is that any Austrian butt reservoir design, that is arepeater with magazine, is a "Girandoni type" even if it doesn't precisely look like the original. That definition, conveniently, would include both the Thornton airgun and the Meriwether Lewis airgun. And, the gun that you are describing.

"In his writings, Dr. Beeman has dismissed the possibility of M. Lewis's airgun being English. Apparently he doesn't think the English airgun makers were good enough by then to produce such a weapon so.... of course.... it has to be an original Girandoni according to him. He dates Staudenmayer, the last time I checked, as not opening his shop until 1807"

Staudenmayar was naturalised as a full British citizen by the Prince regent in 1810 having been born in Wurttenburg during 1767. It isnt known when he came to England but was married at the Church of St James Piccadilly in 1794 so it must be before that date. He was a "valued employee" rather than an apprentice of Manton later opening his own shop in 1799.

"In his writings, Dr. Beeman has dismissed the possibility of M. Lewis's airgun being English. Apparently he doesn't think the English airgun makers were good enough by then to produce such a weapon so.... of course.... it has to be an original Girandoni according to him. He dates Staudenmayer, the last time I checked, as not opening his shop until 1807"

Staudenmayar was naturalised as a full British citizen by the Prince regent in 1810 having been born in Wurttenburg during 1767. It isnt known when he came to England but was married at the Church of St James Piccadilly in 1794 so it must be before that date. He was a "valued employee" rather than an apprentice of Manton later opening his own shop in 1799.
    Hi, thanks!
    Already have all of that and more from the Staudenmayer family history via Facebook connections. What's news is the "valued employee" part: source please.

Note regarding airgun types. What I'm using as a basis are the writings and work of Eldon Wolff. Specifically Air Guns and also Air Gun Batteries. Utilizing his foundational work, I put together a history of British Pneumatic Air Guns where I grouped all the old British pneumatics that I had any reference to and grouped them by battery type (as defined by Wolff). Reviewing that, it can be seen how the British pneumatics went through a clear progression in design development. The older guns all used different battery types than the Austrian Butt Reservoir type. Then, once the ABR type (the Girandoni) came into the picture (circa 1795, as my best guess) all the other types disappeared for the most part.

What I've done is cursory. The full history, and a great history it is, of British pneumatics has yet to be written. I'm not the person to write that history but I can tell that writer the place to start: The Sporting Guns of Windsor, the airguns of George IV and his brother The Grand Old Duke of York.
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 01-03-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Here's the link to British Pneumatics 1750-1850

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjB58yhj

Do the book!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamrob View Post
    Do the book!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not really practical from Portland, Oregon. The right person will need physical and academic access to the archives and museums of GB.

In my opinion, the only way anything serious will happen is if the airgun community of the UK works to make it happen. But, there just doesn't seem to be enough interest. Sad.

https://www.waffensammler-kuratorium...0kSoWvr5qt_1RA

This may all seem to be rather pedantic but in my opinion he cant have been apprentice to Manton for a number of reasons. An indentured apprentice at the time was taken on by a trade master who in return for payment by the family trained, clothed, fed and housed the youngster. It was a formal legal contract between the two parties. Indenture refers to the wavy edge of the written contract which matched that on the other parties’ copy. The youngster was usually 12 or 13 years old, although could be younger, and the time served was seven years. The apprentice was released to set up shop for themselves in their early twenties. It was not possible to become a master unless this process was followed. Anyone setting up as a master without being time served could be subject to a term in prison. Indentured apprenticeships became less popular in the 18th century because it was more economical to pay for labour.
    Several things dont fit with Staudenmayer being Mantons’ apprentice. He was a foreign national having already served an apprenticeship that wasn’t recognised by the London gunmaking trade and came to London at age 23. A bit old to become indentured under a master. He was also married four years later which would have been impossible for an unpaid apprentice. The German text is ambiguous. As a journeyman, rather than apprentice he could have continued training under the supervision of a master but would have been employed as a worker and paiid. Staudenmayer was described as being a journeyman, worker and “valued employee” of Manton as often as “apprentice” as I discovered when researching the subject. I cant find the original source of the “valued employee”, probably Manton himself, but it has been frequently used – and the description fits.
    Mantons’ attraction for Staudenmayer may have been the latters skills at airgunmaking which was popular with the aristocracy but it could have been his skills at rifled barrel making. We will never know for sure. It does seem odd that not many airguns are encountered with Mantons name on them. He was reputed to be the best rifled barrel maker in England at a time when most top makers used imported barrels from Spain. Spain and France being Englands’ natural enemies for centuries gives weight to this argument.

There was another London master gunsmith who made airguns on the Girandoni system at about the same time or a little earlier than 1799. That was Ambrose Fisher. An example went through Christies in 2002 described as 1790! That was Ambrose Fisher. He was working as early as that but I doubt Christies dating was accurate. That example followed the Girandoni lines a lot closer but with a touch of quality. Cased with spare air flask pump and all the necessary accessories.

This may all seem to be rather pedantic but in my opinion he cant have been apprentice to Manton for a number of reasons. An indentured apprentice at the time was taken on by a trade master who in return for payment by the family trained, clothed, fed and housed the youngster. It was a formal legal contract between the two parties. Indenture refers to the wavy edge of the written contract which matched that on the other parties’ copy. The youngster was usually 12 or 13 years old, although could be younger, and the time served was seven years. The apprentice was released to set up shop for themselves in their early twenties. It was not possible to become a master unless this process was followed. Anyone setting up as a master without being time served could be subject to a term in prison. Indentured apprenticeships became less popular in the 18th century because it was more economical to pay for labour.
    Several things dont fit with Staudenmayer being Mantons’ apprentice. He was a foreign national having already served an apprenticeship that wasn’t recognised by the London gunmaking trade and came to London at age 23. A bit old to become indentured under a master. He was also married four years later which would have been impossible for an unpaid apprentice. The German text is ambiguous. As a journeyman, rather than apprentice he could have continued training under the supervision of a master but would have been employed as a worker and paiid. Staudenmayer was described as being a journeyman, worker and “valued employee” of Manton as often as “apprentice” as I discovered when researching the subject. I cant find the original source of the “valued employee”, probably Manton himself, but it has been frequently used – and the description fits.
    Mantons’ attraction for Staudenmayer may have been the latters skills at airgunmaking which was popular with the aristocracy but it could have been his skills at rifled barrel making. We will never know for sure. It does seem odd that not many airguns are encountered with Mantons name on them. He was reputed to be the best rifled barrel maker in England at a time when most top makers used imported barrels from Spain. Spain and France being Englands’ natural enemies for centuries gives weight to this argument.

There was another London master gunsmith who made airguns on the Girandoni system at about the same time or a little earlier than 1799. That was Ambrose Fisher. An example went through Christies in 2002 described as 1790! That was Ambrose Fisher. He was working as early as that but I doubt Christies dating was accurate. That example followed the Girandoni lines a lot closer but with a touch of quality. Cased with spare air flask pump and all the necessary accessories.
    You may well be right. I've never found much on Staudenmayer's time with Manton. That he was with Manton is sure, since Staudenmayer actually mentions Manton on his early case labels. Whether he was an apprentice or an employee with Manton is somewhat beside the point. There is a natural tendency to say he was an apprentice, since that is what was required to become a London gunmaker. What the rules were for an already trained foreigner is an open question (I assume).

Yes. Staudenmayer was not the only London gunmaker to produce Girandoni type air guns. There are a number of examples by Mortimer (the Mortimer book is great!) and others. Most all of these "others" are of the standard English (see Baker-Currie) design. It seems only Staudenmayer went on to produce advanced designs.

Be sure to take a look at my text, British Pneumatics 1750-1850, for more. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dean-f...7630851292394/

Note: I passed along the family Staudenmayer info just for reference. I'm not sure about some of things in there, too. But, I suspect the basic family info is probably good. It would be great if somebody did a real Staudenmayer history.

I should have reviewed this before but here's a bunch of references loosely gathered under the title of Lewis and Clark Air Rifle. Towards the end, there are a couple of articles on Staudenmayer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dean-f...57635032680431
    Last edited by DT Fletcher; 04-03-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Air guns do not require proof testing

Just making a note that during my research one of the points brought up (Blackmore, I think) is that air gun barrels do not require any sort of proof testing. After all, an air gun barrel is nothing more than an open ended tube; there's nothing to proof. Which may go to explain why Staudenmayer was so active in producing air guns. Control of London gun makers was achieved by limiting access to government proof testing. If you couldn't get your work proofed, you're not in business very long, if at all.