Thread: My BSA Merlin Junior .177 Rediscovered

My BSA Merlin Junior .177 Rediscovered

Hello All,

Around 1965 I lusted after an air rifle and whilst my Mum went shopping I would spend time staring at the rack of BSA rifles in the window of our local toy / sports shop. Months of nagging Mum & Dad finally resulted in me getting the Merlin.

The underlever action with the lifting pellet chamber seemed so futuristic at the time. A matching BSA telescopic sight was fitted from new and was a definate edge in target shooting competitions with school chums.

I think itÂ’s a Mk2 as the serial number starts with KA.

I havenÂ’t used it for nearly 50 years and just rediscovered it in my loft in the fitted cardboard box my Dad made for it. I must have been a fussy owner even at that age as it looks as good as the day I bought it.

Surprisingly it still seems to have good air pressure

Is this time warp BSA a rare thing or are there retired people out there whoÂ’ve still hung onto their childhood airguns?

IÂ’ll post some photos of the gun when I work out how to do that - the period boxes of ammo from Wembley and Marksman look very retro too!

They did lack some of the quality of big brothers Airsporter but I always thought that they were nice. Good to hear of a well kept one because the stocks often have cracks in the forend.

The little Merlin is one of my favourite junior rifles, granted they are a bit delicate and need to be handled with care -- split stocks are common as mel h says -- but they are elegant and good to look at.
    Mine do about 3ft lbs which is OK for back garden plinking.

Here’s a few pictures

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Very interesting junior rifle!
    As said, does have it's problems, have heard the underlevers can be a bit flimsy.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Seems I can’t post photos as a new member

I’ll update this post when my posting rights permit

I was given one to repair, it has a lot of pressed steel parts in the cocking mechanism. Very small, I took a pic next to my smallest childs rifle. I had to make a new pellet transporter from Delrin as it had been lost.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Merlin

I have a mk1 Merlin in .177 in working order after a new spring and piston seal. I also have a mk2 in bits awaiting me to rebuild it but I'm missing the .22 loading port which is such a shame. Great little junior plinkers and a fair bit of fun for us older plinkers too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
    I have a mk1 Merlin in .177 in working order after a new spring and piston seal. I also have a mk2 in bits awaiting me to rebuild it but I'm missing the .22 loading port which is such a shame. Great little junior plinkers and a fair bit of fun for us older plinkers too.
    Make it from Delrin as I did, very easy material to work. A kind member on here sent me the dimensions. I would suggest you drill the hole for the pellet last to match exactly with the bore of your rifle.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 06-03-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Probably worth a mention here as it is a rather unique loading system. There is at least one Airsporter existing, that has the same loading port. It was included in the Swann collection, sold a few years since by auction, In Newcastle upon Tyne.

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Make it from Delrin as I did, very easy material to work. A kind member on here sent me the dimensions. I would suggest you drill the hole for the pellet last to match exactly with the bore of your rifle.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks very much Baz. I've been tinkering with guns for some time now...maybe it's time I really got serious and gave this a go. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Probably worth a mention here as it is a rather unique loading system. There is at least one Airsporter existing, that has the same loading port. It was included in the Swann collection, sold a few years since by auction, In Newcastle upon Tyne.
    I have a Weihrauch hw57 which has an almost identical way of loading. A few subtle changes but the system works in the same way.
    Probably the only 2 that I have come across but I will look in to the Airsporter just for the brain food.
    Thanks.
    Pete

I have a Weihrauch hw57 which has an almost identical way of loading. A few subtle changes but the system works in the same way.
    Probably the only 2 that I have come across but I will look in to the Airsporter just for the brain food.
    Thanks.
    Pete
    Problem with the Merlin is that the "pellet transporter" is a loose item and gets lost quite often.

Baz

Thanks.
    Pete
    It was offered as being a BSA prototype, I had a good look at it and could see no signs of it having been converted from a tap system. I bid on it at the time and feel some regret at not buying it, but we get over these things.