Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Airgun lubrication- alternative sources and mixing your own

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Many people swear by CV joint grease, but I find it to be a bit too thin for lubricating pistons. Hence the idea of adding graphite powder to get it more tacky/sticky, but I have not tried it yet. Where do you get the open gear grease?
    The stuff that I've been using is the Molyslip OGL from Drake Tooling in the UK. Purchased a few years ago. When I looked recently I couldn't see it listed anymore, but there were what looked to be direct replacements from Molyslip but under different names. I seem to also remember seeing how the smaller quantities of the AS60 were no longer listed. Well worth perusing the various Molyslip products.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I used to work for a company called Würth, this is where I learnt a lot about different lubes and their properties.
    Get yourself a can of their spray chain grease, it is solvented so goes on as a liquid, spreading evenly. The solvent then evaporates leaving a very sticky, high quality white grease. Great for springs!
    It has been said in the past that the sticky stuff applied to the V-Mach spring and guides when you bought a kit was some type of spray on chain lube, Nick, so makes perfect sense.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Thanks! I have seen the 30 Weight non-detergent referred to several places, but it is a bit difficult to locate a source. The detergent is supposedly harmful for seals. If i understand correctly, the non-detergent oil is suitable for older and simpler engines where harmful particles should not be suspended in the oil. One possible source may perhaps be 30-Weight lawnmower oil?
    Thanks! Sounds like a great suggestion, perhaps it will work for vibration dampening on loose steel guides too?

(I've considered trying the Bum-slide for piston lubrication when I run out of the ARH Moly paste, as shipping from the UK is still reasonable )
    Yes to the lawnmower oil, evert.

And the Bum-Slide is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I use this on springs :- https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...se-TY6333.html

£1.80 a tube.

All the best Mick
    I seem to remember you showing me your tube (wot?) once at Quigley Hollow, Mick?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    I am now into shotguns rather than springer airguns, but I have just discovered SCHMEIRFIX LIQUI MOLY. A German product and its marvellous stuff. Very sticky and slick. Well worth a try. Obtainable on that auction site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    A friend is restoring a 1928 Hillman 12 which has been in his family since new and has become a family heirloom. After he'd rebuilt the engine,he gave me a jam jar of assembly oil which he thought I might be able to use when working on some of my old air guns. This stuff looks like & has the consistency of golden syrup & is very sticky. Apparently he coated the engine parts in it so they would be lubricated as the engine started up & wouldn't run dry until the sump oil started to circulate. I've found it works very well on the loading taps on my old BSAs,Webley Mk3 & other guns & cures any slight leakage. I also had success with some bicycle chain lube called White Lightning, some sort of waxy lubricant which evaporates to leave a coating on mainsprings. It sounds rather like the German stuff Tinbum mentions except it isn't sticky. I put a drop or two of chainsaw oil into the appropriate hole on my Webley pistols every so often.
    I've often looked at stuff on the Liqui Moly site and I think there are a few products there that may be of use.

Plus Morris Lubricants (amongst others) for the Assembly Oil.

Hello to All,

For 'Krytox' like per-fluorinated greases, the easiest to come by in the UK is FinishLine Extreme Fluro, available from bicycle shops.

Krytox oils & greases can be bought in the UK from GBRTech - make queries to:

info@gbrtech.co.uk

Similar per-fluorinated oils & greases, and solid lubes (sub-micron moly, tungsten disulphide, & graphite) and other lubes can be bought from Microlubrol in the USA :

http://www.microlubrol.com/index.aspx

I have bought from both GBRTech & Microlubrol, and the service is excellent.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Re the white teflon bicycle grease ... I bought some a couple of years ago (Finish Line) but have not used it because I was told it could promote dieseling. I tried to find a Safety Information Sheet for it but failed to get one that gave all details. So I continued using Moly CV joint grease. I guess you have not had any problems?
    Cheers, Phil
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 04-01-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I seem to remember you showing me your tube (wot?) once at Quigley Hollow, Mick?
    Way too much information there lads. Just wondering what ye get up to when shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

For 'Krytox' like per-fluorinated greases, the easiest to come by in the UK is FinishLine Extreme Fluro, available from bicycle shops.

Krytox oils & greases can be bought in the UK from GBRTech - make queries to:

info@gbrtech.co.uk

Similar per-fluorinated oils & greases, and solid lubes (sub-micron moly, tungsten disulphide, & graphite) and other lubes can be bought from Microlubrol in the USA :

http://www.microlubrol.com/index.aspx

I have bought from both GBRTech & Microlubrol, and the service is excellent.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks!
    What are you using these for? Spring lubrication or seal lubrication?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Re the white teflon bicycle grease ... I bought some a couple of years ago (Finish Line) but have not used it because I was told it could promote dieseling. I tried to find a Safety Information Sheet for it but failed to get one that gave all details. So I continued using Moly CV joint grease. I guess you have not had any problems?
    Cheers, Phil
    I've only used it on springs/guides, and not the outside of the piston. Used in small amounts it has been great on well fit delrin guides in a TX and the HW97 and 77k.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yes to the lawnmower oil, evert.

And the Bum-Slide is excellent.
    Thanks! And thanks to everyone who has contributed so far, some very interesting info is turning up here now!

evert,

The innards of my rifles are run virtually dry.

The spring & piston (and if present, the outside of the compression cylinder) are sprayed with three (3) or four (4) light coats of a dry moly spray - I use Ambersil, and leave thirty (30) minutes between coats

I allow the dry film film to cure overnight, then burnish with 75% graphite/25% Tungsten disulphide powder on a chamois leather.

The piston seal and spring guide are then burnished with the graphite mixture - turns them a cool silver colour.

The inside of the compression chamber / cylinder is also burnished with the graphite mix

A very small wipe of Krytox grease is smeared around the outer of the seal, and on the guide.

A wipe of grease is then applier to the end of the top-hat, and the base of the spring guide, and powerplant assembled.

Trigger sears are given a light coat of extreme pressure grease at their pressure points.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

chamois leather

evert,

The innards of my rifles are run virtually dry.

The spring & piston (and if present, the outside of the compression cylinder) are sprayed with three (3) or four (4) light coats of a dry moly spray - I use Ambersil, and leave thirty (30) minutes between coats

I allow the dry film film to cure overnight, then burnish with 75% graphite/25% Tungsten disulphide powder on a chamois leather.

The piston seal and spring guide are then burnished with the graphite mixture - turns them a cool silver colour.

The inside of the compression chamber / cylinder is also burnished with the graphite mix

A very small wipe of Krytox grease is smeared around the outer of the seal, and on the guide.

A wipe of grease is then applier to the end of the top-hat, and the base of the spring guide, and powerplant assembled.

Trigger sears are given a light coat of extreme pressure grease at their pressure points.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Why does the chamois leather come into it

gunstock,

The chamois leather is used to rub/burnish the lube powder onto the relevant objects.

It is much better at doing this than is a piece of cloth.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

The innards of my rifles are run virtually dry.....
    Now that is an interesting option! I guess you have a good guide/spring fit?
    Looks like you are shooting a quite heavily modified setup there.
    How does the dry moly/graphite mix last? does it wear or move fast, or can you shoot the gun without servicing for a long time?