Thread: Airgun books review video

Airgun books review video

Just posted a vid on YouTube looking at a few Airgun books and how I found them helpful in researching vintage airguns.

https://youtu.be/X0vk6GtVHaw

Hoping this will be of use to people new to vintage airgun collecting, but may be of interest to some old hands too.

Cheers,
    Matt.

airgun books.

Very interesting, well done on a sunday morning while having my toast for breakfast.

Shock! horror!

What! no Leslie Wesley ?

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    What! no Leslie Wesley ?
    Nope, haven’t got all of them

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Just posted a vid on YouTube looking at a few Airgun books and how I found them helpful in researching vintage airguns.

https://youtu.be/X0vk6GtVHaw

Hoping this will be of use to people new to vintage airgun collecting, but may be of interest to some old hands too.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Hi Matt,
    Thanks for uploading your very interesting video which usefully provides some guidance regarding the content of these essential reference sources for the air gun collector. I'm sure we will all have other titles in our personal libraries reflecting individual preferences in the diverse world of air gun collecting.
    For instance, the John Knibbs Pre-WW1 LJ/BSA book is the must have publication for early BSA collectors and Chris Thrales Webley air rifle book nicely complements Gordon Bruce's Webley air pistols publication. As already mentioned, Air Guns and Air Pistols by L.W.Wesley also provides some excellent if rather dated information and includes some nice personal anecdotes adding to the enjoyment.
    I bought the John Griffiths encyclopedia when it was first published intending to use it purely as a reference source but found myself reading it almost cover to cover in one session.
    As you say, some of these publications may prove hard to find but are well worth the tracking down and often represent an investment in themselves once they cease publication.

This link to issue 2 of Danny Garvin's on-line air gun collector magazine includes a feature on the contents of the internationally acknowledged vintage air gun expert.

https://jumpshare.com/v/YbebxRNfe1Bf...kB8AjMAGfxog4L

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 21-03-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Well done, got quite a few of the same.

Air guns and air pistils by L Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Nope, haven’t got all of them
    As I recall this was the only book available in my local library , on our topic, I think it is a good read, enjoy, kind regards Al.

pistols not pistils !!!!
    Last edited by cringe; 21-03-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    As I recall this was the only book available in my local library , on our topic, I think it is a good read, enjoy, kind regards Al.
    That one’ll go on the Christmas list, cheers Al.

I do have the John Knibbs BSA/Lincoln Jeffries book but haven’t really had any need to look anything up in it, with only a couple of light patterns in the collection. It is a very interesting book all the same.

Matt

Great video, I very much enjoyed it,

Also a fab of your video about the Britannia, it's great.

Outstanding video, Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post

This link to issue 2 of Danny Garvin's on-line air gun collector magazine includes a feature on the contents of the internationally acknowledged vintage air gun expert.

Brian
    Thanks Brian. The best link for this issue is:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....tor-issue-two/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Thumbs up

Very useful video, Matt, especially for anyone new to the hobby. Written book reviews are OK in themselves, but with the added visuals in videos, clips like these must really help in choosing the right book.

[P.S. Thanks for the plug! ]

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Very useful video, Matt, especially for anyone new to the hobby. Written book reviews are OK in themselves, but with the added visuals in videos, clips like these must really help in choosing the right book.

[P.S. Thanks for the plug! ]
    Thanks John,
    I made this for newbies...I find this hobby very enjoyable and I’m keen to get more people interested in vintage airguns.
    YouTube seems to have great reach when It comes to sharing our hobby with a very big audience, so this is a medium I’ll concentrate on.
    Hope your book gets a reprint, it’s pretty timeless and will serve future collectors very well.

Cheers,
    Matt