Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Some years back when I started tuning my springers, a few of us got our heads together,thanks mainly to the BBS and the Springer bash, sharing ideas and techniques and tuning seemed to come on leaps and bounds with new approaches/ developments happening fairly often (reduced cylinder , skirtless pistons, new ways of sealing etc )
All I am seeing now seems to be old stuff rehashed ,ie buttoning gliding, shorter strokes or spring kits, most of which while being well engineered are mostly copying the venom work from the past.
I am constantly changing modifying and testing variations of my tunes most of which doesn't improve things and gets binned .
So has spring piston tuning reached its conclusion , or is there more to come ?

Posted elsewhere.
Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
. Ken believed that we have already reached a point of diminishing returns in the 80s. ]
Yep, I think that, with the introduction of the 25mm HW77 and the tweaks thereafter, we were pretty much there.

These days, I feel that a greater understanding of the characteristics of the spring itself, and its relationship with all the other components to balance the action, even amongst many home tinkerers / shed tuners has had a positive effect.

And maybe also worthy of mention is the newer breed of low release pressure pellets, promoting efficiency and more pleasant firing sequences in a balanced action. The "valving" effect above?