I have been researching the Quackenbush Model 5 air rifles for a number of years and have compiled a list of 83 serial numbers. Of course almost all of them have been in the United States. To see these 12 Model 5s overseas is quite an accomplishment. I have contacted Protek to see if I could get the serial numbers of their examples. Amongst the Model 5s is the .22 caliber air rifle version that has a rifled barrel and the airgun version which has a smoothbore barrel. I have only documented six examples of the smoothbore version.

There appear to be four versions of the "H.M. QUACKENBUSH, HERKIMER, NY" markings that appear in serial number sequence and another marked "QUACKENBUSH 1 1/2" that was primarily for export. Most interesting is that the previous examples I have seen overseas have also been marked "WATSON BROS" and either the "4 PALL MALL, LONDON" or "OLD BOND STREET, LONDON" address stamped on the top of the barrel. Based on the serial numbers, I assume that the 4 Pall Mall is earlier than Old Bond Street address. I have seen a Quackenbush Model 5 with British proof marks on it though that was 45 years ago at a Texas gun show.

If any collectors have a Quackenbush Model 5, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. If possible, I would like the serial number, barrel length, any barrel or receiver markings and whether it is the rifled or smoothbore version.