Thread: Tackle & Guns Pollokshaws closing down

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VALE BOY View Post
    Aye indeed, it’s extremely sad to see yet another shop/business closing down and resulting in a lost amenity to the local folk and in the instance of airgun enthusiasts, not so local as well..

I like a bargain as much as anyone but I’ve never been at ease at ‘cashing in’ on someone else’s misfortune, ever since I bought a complete 600cc Norton Dominator 99 Cafe Racer for a tenner back in the 70’’s after it had thrown a rod and wrecked the crankcases, thereby knackering the engine.
    However, by way of salving my conscience I towed him and his pillion rider up to my lockup and provided overnight accommodation and hospitality at my folks place and drove them to the station to get a train for London… and I gave him the amount he asked for. In all fairness a bike like that, in working, running condition could be had for 40 to 50 quid, at the time.

About 30 odd years ago, there were about still about half a dozen designated gun shops in Glasgow and a plethora of Ironmongers, sports shops, toy shops, cycle shops, and various others that sold a selection of airguns, pellets and accessories…. To my knowledge there is only one place left in the whole of Glasgow, a city with a population of circa half a million people. All the peripheral towns within a radius of 20 miles had Ironmongers, sports shops etc which have all disappeared, to my knowledge….

However this reduction in amenity is not only confined to airgun retailing premises. When I walked along Sauchiehall St, in Glasgow today, arguably the principal shopping and leisure facilty in the town, I was horrified to see the number of once popular and prominent, pubs, cafes etc, cinemas, music venues and department stores all boarded up and creating a depressing environment.
    Sadly this demise is largely prevalent throughout the whole of the U.K also and it’s high time local authorities took a realistic look at what constitutes a fair rateable value on these premises in order to maintain a ‘high-street presence’ in the burgeoning age of online shopping which undeniably has its attractions and benefits but surely not at the expense of losing a ‘traditional, personal, shopping experience.

Aberdeen is the same. Oil capital of europe is now almost a ghost town shop wise.

Buildings are being pulled down if they are empty as the rates are higher than pulling them down.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eve...ess-rates/amp/

There has been offices built here and never occupied due to the costs.

We have a number gun shops but spread out all over aberdeenshire. I have one 5 mins from my house but I only use him in emergencies due to his prices. He is more interested in the shotgun , centre fire and rimfire users. His secondhand prices are not far off new prices elsewhere.

I go to one near my brothers 150 miles from me to buy my shooting goods as they are a better shop.
    Last edited by bighit; 11-11-2021 at 01:45 PM.