Quote Originally Posted by Geeba View Post
Having just made a quick "I wonder" search I came across this thread. The reason I did it was my dad just dug out and showed me the trophy he was awarded for winning the Eagle comic shooting competition in 1952, a story he has told me often over the years. He was a keen reader of the comic and went to the show, entered the competition and won! I was unaware until now of the competition being by schoolboys own. He was presented with the trophy which is dated with the year along with two matching BSA air rifles (.177 pellet firing). Each rifle had a small engraved plate screwed to the side of the butt in recognition of the win. He passed on one of them to another side of the family long ago but we still have the other. I fired it a few times when I was younger, it's got quite a powerful spring loading mechanism and a kick when fired, and it's since been tucked away for safe keeping. Although my dad was too young to serve in the war he did do his National Service at Catterick Camp in Yorkshire, and has often told stories of his target shooting using an Enfield 303 where he would often bullseye at a great distance (he was a very good shot). In fact he has told of an occasions where, due to crosswind, he had to aim at the next target over in order for his shot to hit his target.

Hope this enlightens you.

Cheers

Chris
Greetings Chris, and Welcome to the forum.
Many people will be very interested in your post as it concerns something important in the historical aspect of the airgun collectors world. Any chance of some photos of the gun and trophy please as I am sure they would be appreciated by many and Garvin would be very pleased to feature photos and the story them in the airgungallery