Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gamo Compact experience

[QUOTE=CB200;8107322]
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    [I]

That’s an interesting insight, thanks BnB. I’m sure it is mostly about skill and technique etc, providing one has
    a decent pistol to start with!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I'm one of the old school who started in 1972 using a FWB 65, and shot nationally and internationally with it.

I have kept all my pistols from that 65, through FAS 604, Walther CP1, Walther LPM-1, finishing with Steyr LP2 compact, and LP50e Compact.

Oh yes, PCP's are so much easier to use, but are the scores any better? Hmmmm, maybe not, good technique is far more important, I shot with Ragnar Skanaker, at the early Intershoot's in Holland, he also used to come over for the bigger BPC shoots at Bisley, and was most entertaining.

His technique was total laid back, he'd do a few shots, wander off and have a chat with the RO, a laugh and a joke, shoot a few more cards, stop and have a cigarette, and continue, and still get top score, good old days, before the jobsworths moved in!

I was also privileged to see Nina Stolyarova shoot 392 ex 400 at London in the 1975 European championships in London.

She swept into the hall, like a superstar, wearing a leopard skin coat that was dragging on the floor, made out of real leopards (no PC then!), dropped the coat on the floor, pulled this scruffy plastic grip FWB 65 out of a case, and then just gave a smiling masterclass! It was a Ladies world record that stood up to the PCP era in the 90's, when a Chinese girl put one point on it!!!

Shoot what you enjoy, you'll love a PCP, but the Gamo will not hold you back for along while!
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Thanks for your reply Robin. It’s wonderful to hear about your colourful experiences with top
    Athletes (not withstanding yourself of course) from the past - thank you for sharing. I’m sure other readers are happy to hear more - as I am too!

I’d also be grateful for any advice you could give to a 61 year old newbie! (5 months of 10m air pistol).

Cb200,
    congratulations, sounds like you are progressing well.I think you should be pleased with the way things are going. Keep practicing, but don't over do it.

If you get to a club hopefully they will have an active coaching program you might want to get involved in. Usually there are some experienced shooters who are only took willing to offer help & advice, but it seems as if you are acquiring a good solid base that you can consolidate & move on from.

Hope you continue to feel the reward from your efforts & enjoy your shooting

Ps look forward to hearing how your next 60 go.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Cb200,
    congratulations, sounds like you are progressing well.I think you should be pleased with the way things are going. Keep practicing, but don't over do it.

If you get to a club hopefully they will have an active coaching program you might want to get involved in. Usually there are some experienced shooters who are only took willing to offer help & advice, but it seems as if you are acquiring a good solid base that you can consolidate & move on from.

Hope you continue to feel the reward from your efforts & enjoy your shooting

Ps look forward to hearing how your next 60 go.
    Thanks for the encouragement Trajectory, it’s appreciated. I don’t think I will overdue it, I get bored after 20 mins of dry firing - it’s not called dry for nothing!
    Hopefully I’ll get to a club in the not too distant future and benefit from some experienced folk, as you say.
    Roll on the 15th haha!

I haven't practiced with my Gamo Compact for a while so I fired a few shots with it today. I really rather like it, but I don't know if it's lack of practice with it or if I had just forgotten ......but it's really fidly loading a wadcutter pellet into the barrel in that confined space. Maybe I need to shoot it a bit more often.

I haven't practiced with my Gamo Compact for a while so I fired a few shots with it today. I really rather like it, but I don't know if it's lack of practice with it or if I had just forgotten ......but it's really fidly loading a wadcutter pellet into the barrel in that confined space. Maybe I need to shoot it a bit more often.
    It is fiddly, but you’ll get used to it again if you persevere.

Quote Originally Posted by CB200 View Post
    It is fiddly, but you’ll get used to it again if you persevere.
    I think you are right, bit of practice needed. Once again the kit isn't the limiting factor, it's the human!

I couldn’t wait until the 15th to do my next 60 shot, so I did it yesterday: not as much as I’d hoped, but I did break the 500 barrier with 506. I’m going to do a 60 shot every 2 weeks now, just to get used to doing a ‘match’, albeit by myself.

I’d be hoping to upgrade to another pistol this year (hopefully get to at least 520/530 with the Gamo first).
    I need a pistol that is as ‘quiet’ as the Gamo, as I shoot indoors, and I need to consider other family members. I don’t mind whether used or new, although weight might be a consideration as I’m 61. I would also need a dry fire function. Those requirements might narrow it down a bit! Any advice would be appreciated - thank you.

I couldn’t wait until the 15th to do my next 60 shot, so I did it yesterday: not as much as I’d hoped, but I did break the 500 barrier with 506. I’m going to do a 60 shot every 2 weeks now, just to get used to doing a ‘match’, albeit by myself.

IÂ’d be hoping to upgrade to another pistol this year (hopefully get to at least 520/530 with the Gamo first).
    I need a pistol that is as ‘quiet’ as the Gamo, as I shoot indoors, and I need to consider other family members. I don’t mind whether used or new, although weight might be a consideration as I’m 61. I would also need a dry fire function. Those requirements might narrow it down a bit! Any advice would be appreciated - thank you.
    Firstly, sounds like your enthusiasm is being rewarded which is really good. Increasing to 60 a fortnight seems a reasonable step to me if your 'fitness' level progresses it's likely you will be able to cope with all the rigours that go with it such as maintaining your concentration level. As you know it's not all physical.

Secondly, recommendations or suggestions on pistol upgrading. That's not so easy, some will be able to offer advice regarding kit they own or have used which can be helpful but it's not to say that it will be the same for you. Possibly the advice I would offer is along the lines of don't rush into anything, there is no real urgency to it although the desire might be great the actual need might not be so great, keep in mind the Gamo will probably out shoot you for a while, but I know the trigger weight is higher than you wish but even so I'd advise not rushing things. If you can get to a club, hopefully they might have a couple of club pistols you can try. Hopefully not Compacts, but it's a possibility. Sometimes other shooters will let you borrow their pistol for a few shots or at least let you feel the handling, balance & general properties. Then maybe you can begin to make a list of possible choices or at least features you want in your prospective purchase. Personally I sometimes think CO2 powered pistols are a little noisy, they seem to have a bit of a crack, not sure if its barrel length (don't think so) gas expansion characteristics or what, maybe it's a frequency thing? Not sure. However at a range, maybe with acoustic padding etc or a larger size room than at home it might seem a bit quieter & could be a bit noisier at home. Might be a consideration? PCP can go with a fair pop too, & you need to think about now you want to refill the cylinders too with a PCP. CO2 is fairly straightforward & fairly convenient but temperature & shot count are issues you need to consider.

CO2 fell out of favour when PCP came on the scene for all sorts of reasons for top end match competition, but for social competition shooting maybe it's a possibility. You might not think the noise is an issue, it's just my take on things & that's why I suggest you get to go & have a look & a try with as many types as you can. It's your choice but I think you will make a better decision once you have as much information as you can get from practical experience.

Does that help? Probably not, but it's one persons take on the question?

Atb

I wouldn't go CO2 over SSP. If you can manage the charging then there are better pistols but really I'd go for PCP. As has been said get to a club and try and get a feel for some of the likely contenders, Steyr, Walther, Morini, FWB etc. They will all shoot as good as each other but some will feel better to you. At the end of the day the top pistols allow a greater degree of fit so it's really getting the grip size right off the bat so you don't need to buy another unnecessarily.

You won't lose much if anything on a good quality SH PCP, but you will save a fortune on buying brand new. I've had a few 10m match pistols but if I were going to buy another (I have arguably the best already with a Steyr Evo10e) I'd go to a shop and get the fit right. For me I have a Walther with a M grip which fits like a glove but my Steyr was L and now I have a Rink on it, also L. So If I were going to spend the best part of 2k again on a Walther LP500 I'd want to try it with a L grip just to make sure. The rest of the pistols bits are all broadly similar. I do like that Steyr have easy to adjust sights making corrections on the fly dead easy, but the Walther needs adjusting with an allen key which is no great shakes either really. Silly little things like that are the things I look at now. One or two cylinders, never had an issue with a Walther cylinder but they only usually supply one where as Steyr do two. I needed the extra one once as I had a failure with the other holding the charge.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Firstly, sounds like your enthusiasm is being rewarded which is really good. Increasing to 60 a fortnight seems a reasonable step to me if your 'fitness' level progresses it's likely you will be able to cope with all the rigours that go with it such as maintaining your concentration level. As you know it's not all physical.

Secondly, recommendations or suggestions on pistol upgrading. That's not so easy, some will be able to offer advice regarding kit they own or have used which can be helpful but it's not to say that it will be the same for you. Possibly the advice I would offer is along the lines of don't rush into anything, there is no real urgency to it although the desire might be great the actual need might not be so great, keep in mind the Gamo will probably out shoot you for a while, but I know the trigger weight is higher than you wish but even so I'd advise not rushing things. If you can get to a club, hopefully they might have a couple of club pistols you can try. Hopefully not Compacts, but it's a possibility. Sometimes other shooters will let you borrow their pistol for a few shots or at least let you feel the handling, balance & general properties. Then maybe you can begin to make a list of possible choices or at least features you want in your prospective purchase. Personally I sometimes think CO2 powered pistols are a little noisy, they seem to have a bit of a crack, not sure if its barrel length (don't think so) gas expansion characteristics or what, maybe it's a frequency thing? Not sure. However at a range, maybe with acoustic padding etc or a larger size room than at home it might seem a bit quieter & could be a bit noisier at home. Might be a consideration? PCP can go with a fair pop too, & you need to think about now you want to refill the cylinders too with a PCP. CO2 is fairly straightforward & fairly convenient but temperature & shot count are issues you need to consider.

CO2 fell out of favour when PCP came on the scene for all sorts of reasons for top end match competition, but for social competition shooting maybe it's a possibility. You might not think the noise is an issue, it's just my take on things & that's why I suggest you get to go & have a look & a try with as many types as you can. It's your choice but I think you will make a better decision once you have as much information as you can get from practical experience.

Does that help? Probably not, but it's one persons take on the question?

Atb
    Thank you for your detailed and considered response, I do appreciate it. Joining a club will likely be a good way forward for all the reasons you mentioned, although I’ll wait until covid disapates more before I jump in there. I’ve had a few suggestions from worthy sources up to now: Tau-7 and LP1, amongst others. I quite like the idea of a Tau, as it doesn’t have too many adjustments! And I can get it new with a warranty for a very reasonable cost. Also Co2 canisters are cheap and readily available. Any used gun is likely to want a service/ re-sealing. I realise that the Tau is no were near as refined as a Styer, but if it gets me to the next level? Do you have any experience of a Tau-7?

Thank you for your detailed and considered response, I do appreciate it. Joining a club will likely be a good way forward for all the reasons you mentioned, although I’ll wait until covid disapates more before I jump in there. I’ve had a few suggestions from worthy sources up to now: Tau-7 and LP1, amongst others. I quite like the idea of a Tau, as it doesn’t have too many adjustments! And I can get it new with a warranty for a very reasonable cost. Also Co2 canisters are cheap and readily available. Any used gun is likely to want a service/ re-sealing. I realise that the Tau is no were near as refined as a Styer, but if it gets me to the next level? Do you have any experience of a Tau-7?
    Haven't seen a Tau for a while, but I think they are pretty good in most respects. The shot count is fairly high too if I remember correctly, which could be an advantage too.
    One thing, dont think they have a dry fire device? Might not be true if all versions, maybe some did & some didn't.
    Either way it could be a good option.
    Certainly worth looking into further & trying to find one you can try before taking the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    I wouldn't go CO2 over SSP. If you can manage the charging then there are better pistols but really I'd go for PCP. As has been said get to a club and try and get a feel for some of the likely contenders, Steyr, Walther, Morini, FWB etc. They will all shoot as good as each other but some will feel better to you. At the end of the day the top pistols allow a greater degree of fit so it's really getting the grip size right off the bat so you don't need to buy another unnecessarily.

You won't lose much if anything on a good quality SH PCP, but you will save a fortune on buying brand new. I've had a few 10m match pistols but if I were going to buy another (I have arguably the best already with a Steyr Evo10e) I'd go to a shop and get the fit right. For me I have a Walther with a M grip which fits like a glove but my Steyr was L and now I have a Rink on it, also L. So If I were going to spend the best part of 2k again on a Walther LP500 I'd want to try it with a L grip just to make sure. The rest of the pistols bits are all broadly similar. I do like that Steyr have easy to adjust sights making corrections on the fly dead easy, but the Walther needs adjusting with an allen key which is no great shakes either really. Silly little things like that are the things I look at now. One or two cylinders, never had an issue with a Walther cylinder but they only usually supply one where as Steyr do two. I needed the extra one once as I had a failure with the other holding the charge.
    Thanks BNB, you’ve given me another great insight and perspective on a world I know little about. I’m planning on joining a club when covid regresses somewhat. I’m not in a massive rush to upgrade as I’ve still got a lot to learn (it’s people like yourself and others who are educating me at the moment). My scores are still going up too at the moment, so my current pistol is still out shooting me: I’m not sure if it’s the Gamo or me that will falter first!

Haven't seen a Tau for a while, but I think they are pretty good in most respects. The shot count is fairly high too if I remember correctly, which could be an advantage too.
    One thing, dont think they have a dry fire device? Might not be true if all versions, maybe some did & some didn't.
    Either way it could be a good option.
    Certainly worth looking into further & trying to find one you can try before taking the plunge.
    Thanks for that. There’s a gentleman in the USA who makes a gizmo to enable a Tau-7 to dry fire easily: very cheap too. I think it makes sense to certainly try before I buy, whatever pistol I eventually get, like you mentioned. Btw shot a card today with 5 tens on it, first time ever! Also included a 5🥴😆

Thanks for that. There’s a gentleman in the USA who makes a gizmo to enable a Tau-7 to dry fire easily: very cheap too. I think it makes sense to certainly try before I buy, whatever pistol I eventually get, like you mentioned. Btw shot a card today with 5 tens on it, first time ever! Also included a 5🥴😆
    Guessing it's a blocking gizmo that prevents the hammer from striking the valve or something along those lines. Might be as simple as a piece of poly pipe or some sort of impact absorbing polymer buffer. Well worth trying a Tau for yourself, or any other pistol for that matter. New is kind of nice because you know it's history, s/h deals can work out well & hopefully it would have been well looked after & serviced by someone who knows what they are about, but sometimes things don't come to light till later.

A 5, a 5, .dodgy pellet! Did you call it?

Guessing it's a blocking gizmo that prevents the hammer from striking the valve or something along those lines. Might be as simple as a piece of poly pipe or some sort of impact absorbing polymer buffer. Well worth trying a Tau for yourself, or any other pistol for that matter. New is kind of nice because you know it's history, s/h deals can work out well & hopefully it would have been well looked after & serviced by someone who knows what they are about, but sometimes things don't come to light till later.

A 5, a 5, .dodgy pellet! Did you call it?
    Yes new is generally better, although it’s a trade off between older precision quality verses new simpler mechanics.

I’ve just found they do a Tau-8 pcp! Great price too!

Did I call it! I called it everything under the sun!����