Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Norica Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Gotcha.:oldwink:. For me, the main negative was the trigger with its long and spongey travel and, sometimes, unpredictable, let-off. In the main, you could work with it okay, but at other times you were never really sure when the sear would release. However, with "concentrated" technique, long range accuracy could be achieved and the little 75 yards Quigley Bucket at The Boinger Bash fell on many occasions.:). I know it's a well documented weakness of them and that there were / are aftermarket triggers from Charlie da Tuna and Welsh Willy that seemingly improve matters a little?

With it being a "cassette" unit, it would be nice if an aftermarket unit with crisper performance became available. However, I'm not convinced the vast majority of Gamo owners would stump up the upgrade money if one was available. I have no experience of the later SAT trigger, but would guess that it slightly improves things?
    The problem with Gamo triggers is that they were crap. However, all is not lost as there is a remedy that's inexpensive and does not involve Charlie DA Tuna or WW. It involves one or two if you are feeling flush, 5/16" steel washers. Push out the pin that the trigger rotates on, take off the parts that come out with it and replace the trigger with a washer each side of it. Take out the adjusting screw and replace it with a longer one and you are done. All that's left to do is to adjust the trigger release pressure via the longer screw to your preference. It's amazing what two small washers will do to improve the trigger, if you are feeling that this could be improved you are right, a model car wheel bearing works as well

Thank you for those very useful tips.. If I were to ever own one again (and I'm more than open to that idea) I'd give it a go. I gave my Vipermax away in late 2019 to a friend in need. I had been given it anyway but I had also just been given a Mercury S. His need was larger than mine, he was totally skint, I was at the limit of available storage space and, well, what goes around comes around, doesn't it? He loves it. As said, I'd be more than happy to have another one day to have a play with.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

So if you spend around a £100 on one of these new, what is the final cost to get it something like right?

Much will depend on the experience of the owner and expectation. Some people will just want a budget springer to use, blissfully unaware and unencumbered by tweakery talk. Just get the gun, use and enjoy. Others who are used to higher levels of refinement will fall into two main categories - ones who have the knowledge but not the required equipment to make custom parts. For these people, you might be looking at £40 - £70(?) for a spring and guide kit / tuning kit. Plus a little bit of spare time and TLC. For those with lathes and a box of springs lying around, the cost could be mere pennies. Just a little bit of time, applied knowledge and careful hand finishing and considered lubrication should see them transformed, as it would with most springers.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Hi Tony. Fair comment, I was thinking of the case where the buyer has to pay for all the required parts and have someone else do the work on top of the new rifle cost. My point being if it starts busting £200 better to buy, say, a HW 30 or 99. For those who are happy with a basic entry level rifle then, yeah, no problem and a good option.

Hi pajj, as a committed Weihrauch fan and owner, I couldn't disagree. I own a good number of HWs, including six 30s and 99s and love them all to bits for their many superlative qualities. When you compare the 99 against much of the other stuff out there, it's so mightily impressive at its price point. It's the main rifle I recommend to many first time buyers, including friends and family, and each and every one of them are happy with their purchases.

Norica Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    PM me your email address and I will send you a photograph, it's nothing special, just a bit of tube with a cut out
    sounds like the one you have to make for bsa supersport/lightnings. i used a bit of dowelling cut out to clear the pins.

Marvic on way home, Oz piston seal, sized titan spring, custom top hat, slightly opened breach throat, general de burr / re lube
    Will post when it gets back , and I have time to try it out
    The airgunsmith concerned has given very positive feedback
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by pajj View Post
    So if you spend around a £100 on one of these new, what is the final cost to get it something like right?
    £50 in parts (20 spring, 20 seal, plus top hat made) , labour / postage as most of us don't have lathes ..
    So my 'cheapie' Norica about another ton, postage to ing and fro ing, cheaper if taking to bits yon self and just sending spring off for top hat, but again if no bench grinder to correctly cut size and finish spring ...

It will be most interesting to read your findings once home and tested, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by pajj View Post
    Hi Tony. Fair comment, I was thinking of the case where the buyer has to pay for all the required parts and have someone else do the work on top of the new rifle cost. My point being if it starts busting £200 better to buy, say, a HW 30 or 99. For those who are happy with a basic entry level rifle then, yeah, no problem and a good option.
    The HW's need better spring guides too, and the models you mention tend to need work on the cocking lever.
    I've not been into the newer Cometas, but from what I have seen of their somewhat older rifles,
    their products seem to be better than the two other Spanish makers.
    Too many airguns!

So, where to start.

Tony, yes I agree the 99 has got to be the best value/quality for the money overall (new, of course) of anything I've seen and that is where I would put my money every day of the week for a "full" power decent quality springer, especially to a first time buyer who wants a general purpose rifle.

PCP, I think you have confirmed my point. Anyway, good luck with the project, I look forward to seeing your reports and I hope you are genuinely pleased with it. It should be a lot better than standard.

Evert, I have 99, 35 and 57. Don't have a 30 but shot plenty and they are nice enough for me out of the box. The 99 I paid £200 new, maybe 5 years ago with a tin of pellets and a bag. It's had a good few tins of pellets thru' it and I have been fortunate enough to not have had the "galling" problem but it's a simple fix if you do. Like many rifles it may well benefit from a custom fitted guide and if it bothered me I'd turn one up, but I'm happy with standard. So apart from some moly here and there, no problem, fairly light, accurate and nice to shoot.

The 35 I've had at least 20 years, very nice quality classic rifle design, never a problem but too long and heavy for my tastes. The 57 is the worst new rifle I have ever bought (and that includes BSA's) and I would not recommend one, although lately they seem to be developing a following.
    I would agree that Cometas look reasonable but the same thing applies as to the Noricas---if you are going to spend the same or more on an inferior rifle why not buy the better quality up front. Edit: If you are happy to accept the quality at a bargain price then fair do's all round.
    Last edited by pajj; 10-04-2022 at 02:40 PM.

Marvic with cut down titan and top hat, oz seal, de burr, throat open slightly. I think breach face polished too, but honestly I forget what it looked like before.

Nice, light accurate rifle, pretty easy cocking, twang free. Shoots JSB varieties well from light to heavy. I didn't try trophy (I suspect may have shot well / well enough with them) it didn't like RWS, Bisley Superfield

I scoped it for pellet tests, then went back to open sights. It's now a nice shootable, lightweight well balanced full sized air rifle. I quite like the 'Spanish Feel' from my Cometa / Norica experiences - ie - lightish pistons for fastish lock time, rifles a bit on lighter side and pleasant triggers - not Rekord, not old UK BSA / Webley.

I really like it now, and if at right price, I'd say for the transformation costs .nothing at all to be unsatisfied with

Glad you're happy with it.

Cheap and Cheerful

At £160 new the remington express will take some beating i must say. Mach 1.5