Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion regarding the most accurate Air Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    Sounds good, what pellets were you using?
    Die 54 JSB Exacts 8.4gn.

https://ibb.co/kyVSvWv

2 or 3 stuck in the hole in the bell target, these pulled off the top.
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 22-01-2023 at 05:03 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    A Hw99 sitting in a CS1000 stock, what do you use it for and did you go with the extra cost for select wood ?
    It is proportionally smaller than the one on my TX200 although in the same style like a ..."mini me"...version.
    I use it for mooching in the woods for squirrels and pigeons.
    It has a 10x40 Bushnell Elite on it and will be using it as a HFT gun this year.
    I bought the stock S/h with a trade on my new std stock.
    It is a light combo , extremely accurate and handles really well for offhand shots.
    Unlike the TX..which weighs a ton with a big Falcon on it
    feels like a M1 Garand in comparison..as good as a pcp off the bench and knee though.

https://ibb.co/9YShRh1
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 22-01-2023 at 04:55 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

If money is no object, then I would commission someone like Ripley to build something completely unique and not mass produced.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Thomas. Not seen one, but via interweb seems interesting.

But with the right pellets (minimal variation and right head size) my Pulsar is better than me. Its not just the rifle/scope/pellet or just the person, they have to synergise, ergonomics plays a significant part in this synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    It's going to depend on the individual rifle rather that the type or model.

I've had a lot of accurate rifles over the last 30 years. The rifle which has been most accurate, most constantly with the widest range of ammunition, is my Steyr LG110 with a barley twist barrel from a year 2000 LG100.

At 30 yards JSB Exacts go through exactly the same hole, it looks as though a single shot has been fired.
    Another vote for anything Steyr. My LG100 was the most clinically accurate thing I've ever shot. I achieved my best HFT scores using my (custom made) HW100 Bullpup but that was more to do with the fact that it was made to fit me.

As regards, the Steyr, if it's zero'd correctly, is bench rested and it's windless - you really can't miss.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    If bench rested and indoors, then it could get very particular. I've used someones set-up involving a German or Austrian PCP sub-12 riflle with a good scope combined with a home designed and home-made 'bipod'. The bipod had screw-controlled windage and elevation adjustments and IIRC the rear of the stock rested on the bench. The only input from the shooter was to operate the trigger. There was some discussion abt timing one's breathing and triggering between heatbeats.

Why not use a remotely controlled electrical trigger and then... eh voila! you have a miniature artillery piece.

Can't see how you could get more accurate than that

Multi-stage regulated nitrogen power shooting in a vacuum...

Anything with a half decent barrel and a regulator should be fine, I'm getting very good tight groupings at those distances with a PR900 gen 2

Based on a bit of personal experimentation, any pcp that has a consistent firing Cycle , half decent barrel and pellets it likes is capable of 1 hole groups... strap your gun to a stand or bench so it can't move and fire a string of shots, I did this when pellet testing. You'll find it all goes wrong when you handle the gun to shoot! I've found that the rest, hold on the gun, trigger technique, eye line through the sights and 'fit ' of the gun are the things that cause the inaccuracy issues with my gun...

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    It's going to depend on the individual rifle rather that the type or model.

I've had a lot of accurate rifles over the last 30 years. The rifle which has been most accurate, most constantly with the widest range of ammunition, is my Steyr LG110 with a barley twist barrel from a year 2000 LG100.

At 30 yards JSB Exacts go through exactly the same hole, it looks as though a single shot has been fired.
    Ditto. My barley twist LG100FT would remove staples at 50 yards. But to be honest, the barrel is only one component in a string of essentials.

Fit is also a very under considered element. If it dont bloody fit to start with....
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    Imagine that you have an unlimited budget to purchase a PCP or Springer Air Rifle for a 25 m and 50 m Benchrest. What is your opinion would be your rifle of choice here in the UK? I also include rifles made in the EU and across the pond. The rifle purchased would not be used for HFT or FT.
    If you look at the best bench rest guns, there seems to be a lot of Air Arms with lothar walther barrels, even the HFT 500 unregged puts very good groups in. Strangely Steyrs which I also shoot seem to be more fussy on technique than other guns from what I have heard.
    BTW. Ive just put an order in for an ISP Airstream to be made with a Air arms Lothar Walther barrel and Anschutz trigger.Will that be the ultimate gun?
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    If you look at the best bench rest guns, there seems to be a lot of Air Arms with lothar walther barrels, even the HFT 500 unregged puts very good groups in. Strangely Steyrs which I also shoot seem to be more fussy on technique than other guns from what I have heard.
    BTW. Ive just put an order in for an ISP Airstream to be made with a Air arms Lothar Walther barrel and Anschutz trigger.Will that be the ultimate gun?
    That is along my thinking. Take some of the best parts, or make bespoke parts better than what is available, and mount in a perfect stock designed specifically for you with length, height and weight all taken into account. A one off special.
    Along the lines of my XL1 mounted in a made to measure Paul Wilson stock, only much more unique.
    VAYA CON DIOS

My scoped Feinwerkbau 601 would shoot the fleas of an ant, excellent bit of kit.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    This is going to be gun specific rather than model specific

I've had a lot of top end guns, two or three of the same one in some cases, and most shot really well, but some shot really, really well, but it's trying to find them that is the hard part

As it's for BR, don't bother with fancy adjustable and expensive stocks like the "one" from Anschutz, the BR stock they do is better for the job at hand, even if it looks a lot more basic.

Fine tuning makes a difference for ultimate accuracy, and pellets are probably the most overlooked final part of the puzzle for 250/250 shooting with a shed load of Xs to boot, and most guns I've shot can get 248/249 on pretty much every card - but your looking for more than that

My top guns have been - Daystate Red Wolf, Annie 9015, TM1000

Always remember that not everyone can be a world champion, so you may find, no matter how good a gun or prep you have got and done, you plateau at a certain level due to your ability, and nothing but training, practise, and incremental improvement will change that. People often say they have been shooting 20/30 years as a testament to their ability - I normally tell them that's how long they have been doing it wrong
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Like this!!!!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

an old daystate harrier with a bad home made stippling and a slight air leak and a cheap vintage 6x40 scope .
    that ugly leaky thing could single hole group stacking the pellets ,i thought i was a shit hot shot then my wife did exactly the same with it .couldnt worth more than a few hundred quid but very surgical ,doesnt always have to cost the earth