Thread: Early LGVT stocks

Early LGVT stocks

Thanks for looking. Got a couple of these stocks with no actions. Thought the value should be around £250.
    Think I need to source an action or two or take them to Melbourne/Addlington.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/zdxfprAwj5tnwdqSA

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Thanks for looking. Got a couple of these stocks with no actions. Thought the value should be around £250.
    Think I need to source an action or two or take them to Melbourne/Addlington.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/zdxfprAwj5tnwdqSA
    FYI these are in fact Walther LG55 Tyrolean stocks.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    FYI these are in fact Walther LG55 Tyrolean stocks.
    Many thanks again. One has shorter cocking slot as you have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Many thanks again. One has shorter cocking slot as you have mentioned.
    That presumably means there's one of each LG55 and LGV Tyrolean stocks. A rare opportunity to upgrade your standard rifle.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    That presumably means there's one of each LG55 and LGV Tyrolean stocks. A rare opportunity to upgrade your standard rifle.
    I don't know Garvin. Here they are together, both slots look short. Not conclusive to me. Think I'll ask the buyer of my last LGVT to take a dimension.
    Appreciate your support as usual.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xaEWVxz29ocajyoz6

Hard to say, isn't it? Anyway, it would be easy enough to deepen it if necessary.

The only sure-fire LGV-T I have a pic of is this one:

Actually, there's this one in the gallery too:

Last edited by Garvin; 08-09-2023 at 06:38 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Don't know for sure as I've never owned an LGV Tyro, but the LGV's "Olympia" stock has black nylon (?) strengthening surrounds to the front stock screw holes. This might be a further distinguishing feature.

Last edited by MDriskill; 08-09-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Mike off-topic I know, but your photo clearly shows the transverse breech pin (actually two pegs) at the back of the breech near where you insert a pellet into the barrel. BBS member dvd describes this neat feature of the LGV like this:

"The fork in the cylinder's end through which the breech block swings, is effectively wider at the top than it is at the bottom. I measured mine and it results that the top opening is 17.96mm and the bottom is narrower at 17.50mm.
    So those two solid pins protruding slightly in the block, serve to lock (wedge)the barrel securely in a keystone fashion and eliminate any side to side movement. The detent takes care of any up and down movement. I find Walther's system better to break open the barrel since no slapping on the barrel is involved.
    The inclusion of the two pins is a simple but highly effective solution to eliminate barrel side play. I suspect each gun's lock-up was fettled by hand to achieve this perfect lock up because if the pins were too wide by a tiny amount, the breech block would not close closely enough to the transfer port resulting in a leak past the O ring. On the other hand if they were slightly too narrow, they would be ineffective for their purpose and the barrel would close like any normal break barrel without the enhanced lock-up. So they had to be just right."

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Thanks Garvin!

Very interesting - and I can vouch that it works effectively, too (well, back when my eyes and hands were a bit steadier anyhow).

Last edited by MDriskill; 08-09-2023 at 09:50 PM.