Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying air rifles with no photo ID?

I checked blue badge as ID to fly recently with my brother and it counts as identity verified govt issued photo ID. Hth
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

Well that AA link is frankly cobblers

This is a copy paste from the Home Office Guide to Firearms Law.
    the blue highlight is mine

What kind of firearm can be held on certificate?

Some firearms and shot guns may be held on a firearm or shot gun certificate
    issued by the police. Low-powered air weapons are not licensed in England and
    Wales unless they are of a type declared specially dangerous by the Firearms
    (Dangerous Air Weapons) Rules 1969, but there are restrictions on their sale.
    An air
    weapon is “specially dangerous” if it is capable of discharging a missile with kinetic
    energy in excess, in the case of an air pistol, of 6 foot-pounds or, in the case of
    other air weapons,12 foot-pounds. “Specially dangerous” air pistols (and certain
    other air weapons) are prohibited weapons and may not be held on certificate.
    See Chapters 10 and 11 (on firearm certificate procedure and shot gun certificate
    procedure) for further details.
    Last edited by angrybear; 16-05-2024 at 07:46 PM.

shop

Quote Originally Posted by FOZZD1 View Post
    Finding mixed information, some state just proof of age and others says photo ID?

And them even worse information like the Air-Arms one.

The shops own website contradicts itself, saying a youngster cannot use an airgun unsupervised when under 18 but then states
    a 15 year old can use one unsupervised. Unless I misread it? That appears to contradict the previous comment.

Just phoned them again to make sure we only need a photo driving licence before we get there and they say we need something else.
    Hi is the shop in birmingham your purchasing from if so which one . cheers

No it's in London near Heathrow. Just A.. Rifles and assume the same company also shows on google maps as Just BB ....

Did/do you vote in elections? If so, would the official voter ID be accepted by them? Worth getting if so, and it’s free. https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-i...ty-certificate

Only voted pre-photo ID being required.

The only photo I have on anything official is my Blue Badge. Lived here for more than 25 years so that predates the photo
    driving licence and never had the need for photo ID.

I maybe in my mid 50's but I look and act much older.

Still trying to find GOV information on the actual ID requirements but its a PITA. Even the MET police website which may cover the area of that shop?
    fails to mention buying. Mainly goes on about higher power air rifles that need a ticket and even airsoft but not sub 12ft/lbs info.

Any info would be great, many thanks.

I'm not sure what the actual requirement is. However, and although personally not a huge fan of the photocard licences, so many institutions etc do ask for them and recognise them these days. In the interests of making things easier for yourself in the future, might it not be worth getting a photocard licence? Apply for one, saying you have lost / mis-laid your current paper licence so that when the new one arrives, if the entitlements or any other details are incorrect, you could more easily get things corrected after miraculously "finding" your paper one.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

The last time I bought a rifle from an RFD was soon after Covid, when DVLA had a well publicised backlog and were slow in issuing me a new driving license after my old one became lost, so I had no acceptable photo ID at that time.
    I called the RFD to explain the situation, and they were happy to accept other proof of name, address, etc, in the form of bank & pension statements, or other govenment issued documents, and to take my car's registration number because that's traceable.

Beyond a driving license - which not everyone has - there's very little other government issued photo ID, so it seems reasonable that there must be some provision for those that don't have such a thing.

So is an old paper licence and a blue badge with photo and date of birth enough? Paper licence has my name and address and being mid 50's it's
    obvious I am over 18. Blue badge has my photo and my date of birth to match them up.

Issued by an authority not some fake ID that I could easily create on the computer.

Thanks.
    Yes that would be fine at ours

www.airgunspares.com

Bus pass? I know someone who used his library card with a photo on it as identity proof (but it was not for a sub 12gun purchase).
    Cheers, Phil

Simply call the shop and ask?

Only voted pre-photo ID being required.

The only photo I have on anything official is my Blue Badge. Lived here for more than 25 years so that predates the photo
    driving licence and never had the need for photo ID.

I maybe in my mid 50's but I look and act much older.

Still trying to find GOV information on the actual ID requirements but its a PITA. Even the MET police website which may cover the area of that shop?
    fails to mention buying. Mainly goes on about higher power air rifles that need a ticket and even airsoft but not sub 12ft/lbs info.

Any info would be great, many thanks.
    Ask google
    I asked; "What is approved ID in the UK" & got this although it says Firearm cert IS, but it wasn't good enough for DVLA when I moved house & needed to get a new driving licence
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tity-checklist
    or maybe even better, & including your Blue badge.
    https://www.electoralcommission.org....forms-photo-id

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    DVLA are a law unto themselves at times, had to chase them before taking a Car out of my name as they'd had the V5 slip over a month but did little with it, dreading doing the change over thats coming at somepoint when the House goes.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Further to the AA thing, in the OP's link.

Having contacted AA they agree the General licence is about pest control and has nothing to do with obtaining an air rifle.
    so will be correcting the incorrect information.

Well we went and collected them and handed over everything I own Finally they just put my daughters name on the delivery note
    with her photo driving licence as proof. Could not accept me partners photo ID because its not the same surname.

Now the almost proud owner of Reign M2's but the cocking lever is not as smooth as I expected after watching many reviews. Maybe because it has no air
    in it yet?

On the plus side partner and daughter both love the gun, just added a cheap silencer not for the noise but to keep hands and fingers away from the barrel.

Is the safety backwards?? Trigger finger right to left push puts the safety on? OK we don't hunt but I would have expected to push the safety off
    with the trigger finger?

Thanks all.