Thread: Wishing to dispose of a collection.

Wishing to dispose of a collection.

Can anyone put me in touch with a valuation house/auction house/collector/ etc that will be interested in disposing of a collection of air pistols?
    All makes, obviously, and ages.

I have decided time enough so to stop.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

The usual suspects are Holts and Wallis & Wallis, but as you know with auctions you are at the whim of the buyers on the day and their commission/VAT on commission. Worth googling to see if you have any auction houses near you who cover Arms & Militaria.

There will be people saying you’re best off trying to advertise on here, but it depends on the collection and whether you can/wish to catalogue them yourself. In which case lots of good/high-res photos and honest descriptions are essential. If you have a few pistols of particular interest/value you could always try on here first with them.

Of course ultimately it’s your choice.

Best of luck.

Might it be feasible to go to the next Kempton event and sell them there? If you couldn't go yourself, might there be someone going who may have a sales table there and who lives locally to you who you could come to an arrangement with?

The next event takes place on the 7th of July.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hello, Busby are over in Bridport and they have a Sporting Department, but as with all Auctioneers they charge a commission on sellers and buyers plus VAT, i am sure there maybe people on the BBS interested and it might save the 25% commission , put up a list and prices and see how it goes, looking at all you posts you seem to have years of experience on air rifles/pistols, i would use that judgement on prices but make sure buyers are genuine
    Last edited by oldboyshooter; 17-05-2024 at 07:22 AM.

as above

I hope that you don't mind me asking, but have you already decided that "sending them to auction" is your preferred choice. I only ask because if so it might be worth emphasising that point in your original post as it could well help keep the replies "on track" (but I will say that on a personal level I find replies/advice to date in line with my thoughts).

JMHO, Vic T

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    If you specifically want to go down the auction route, when choosing an auction house you obviously want to consider those with the most reasonable commission charges, and those that describe and illustrate lots in their catalogue to a high standard. Less obvious, but probably more important, make sure that the auction house has a mailing system that is both good value and is sympathetic to air guns.

There are several auction houses that have very awkward attitudes to posting guns in general, and some will not consider posting even pre-1939 airguns (Special Auction Services and Horners, for example, and possibly Wallis & Wallis). Barriers like this will freeze out a major potential customer base, so you should check this out by talking to the auction house directly on this before committing to them (their website shipping information is often unclear).

I personally have desisted from putting in bids on numerous occasions for this very reason, only to find that the items sold well below what I (and many other collectors) would have paid had shipping been less of an issue..

Duke's Auctioneer's in Dorchester seem to do quite a bit with airguns. They seem to have a number of 'Sporting' auctions each year, and seem to have good coverage on the internet. Or maybe better still, get a table at Kempton Park - That way the buyers come to you so to speak.

Good luck

Lakey

Not a great time to sell tbh. Lots of collectors seem to be selling up, judging by the number of guns up for auction. If you can hold off for a while, things may improve (or get worse!)
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Kempton

Drop me an email if you need help....

I think a lot depends on your location, the experience of the auction house and also the amount of sellers commission they charge. I take it you don’t want to go through the hassle of selling them privately? Good luck 🤞🏻