Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best value pellets for just plinking but something that will not ruin seals?

Purchased a few tins of the Econ, Plinker and Hammer to see which the guns prefer. Bought a few other things from JSR and cross checking
    prices from somewhere else and JSR came out a lot cheaper for the items I wanted.

Tried a few old school websites and it seems many have gone. May have to dig some old magazines out and see how many remain in business.

Thanks.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Let us know how it goes, I want to put in a decent sized order soon as now the better weathers coming I'm getting through Pellets quick so need to top up stocks without hopefully too much wastage.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

I’ve also found the H&N Excite Econ II a good budget pellet, but the new style Wasps are also well made and consistent (even if not really a Wasp). For older guns, I tend to use Marksman, and find them more than adequate.

Funniley enough I had been looking at Marksman as they seem to sometimes come in the Old boxes which caught my eye so I'll try and get some for the Falcon, Econs from what I've noticed only seem to be .177 so I'm guessing they must consider the Plinking label ones the .22 equivlent.

If you were to bulk buy Marksman, best get them mostly in the tins and a couple of card boxes if you like them (as I do). The card ones come cellophane wrapped in 10s from memory, but if you don’t get through them quickly once unsealed they will oxidise…hence the tins are better longer-term.

I'm keeping hold of tins just incase (as means I can portion out and safely transport for a Range visit), probably could get some of those Cheap Tobacco tins too if I need to for storage, Silicones also on hand for sealing if it becomes a real problem but fingers crossed it'll be fine.
    I'm hopefully going to get a bit of a selection as well as then I have something on hand for guests or if I get a new gun that doesn't like what the main stuff is so theres always means to shoot.

A good selection arrived today from JSR, arrived quickly but they shipped them to my neighbour who I would rather have not
    advertised my hobbies. They did not open the package but JSR was clearly marked on the box.

Curious to see if the plinking are better or worse than the econ's and hammer's being priced between them. Annoying that the
    tins are just push on lids, are these so that you spill more than you shoot so you buy more?

I may make a single shot tray for the Reign M2. Seen a magazine (SAFE) replacement but thought you could insert that with a
    pellet already in the barrel so not safe??

Seems to vary by manufacturer, some tins do screw on and off and worst case in transport you can get one of those zip cases to keep them shut.

Took a tin of webley vmax out today, Used in my mk1 rapid, Think I payed about £2.50/£3.00 for 250, So £6 tops for 500 pellets. I was more than surprised how well they grouped. IN fact I had better results than the AA field diabolo pellets which I took with me. If not tomorrow then next week I'll go back over trago and stock up on them. No damaged ones that I noticed and all looked well made, They certainly shot well.

Where'd you get that deal from as thats real cheap, I've got some new ones to try from Joffy and some Crossmans on the way that I got on FB so will report back when I've had a chance to plink with them.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by FOZZD1 View Post
    Noticed a fair few of the cheaper pellets are flat heads not domed, does it save that much material?

Maybe a better question anything to avoid? Presume tipping them out onto a sheet to remove any dust/swarf would be a wise thing to do?
    A flat head design is easier to get consistent accuracy from. A dome or point can be slightly off centre or have other irregularities that can slightly affect consistent flight, while a flat head is just .. flat. There were theories in the 80s that a flat head has a stabilising spiral of air formed at the front surface, but this quite possibly is bullshit.

The cheap flat head may also be the practice pellet for earnest beginner paper punchers who will shoot a lot of lead and who need nice crisp holes in their targets.

The downside to them is their ballistic coefficient is poor, so they tend to lose velocity much faster than domed shapes, which not only means a steeper trajectory at range but they are also pushed around by the wind more.

Best plinking pellet I’d say is RWS Hobby. Consistent quality, light for high velocity up to 25 yards in rifles or pistols, nice soft lead and suit most barrels, smack reactive targets nice and hard. A classic.

Can't disagree with the above, sir. I love the Hobby in both the main calibres. I've used them since the late 70s and they're still up there amongst my favourites today.

And better at range than some would have you believe, too.....performances by Craig-P and Bad Daz at the 75 yards duck targets at Quigley Hollow are testament to that.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Where'd you get that deal from as thats real cheap, I've got some new ones to try from Joffy and some Crossmans on the way that I got on FB so will report back when I've had a chance to plink with them.
    If its the vmax pellets you wanted to know where from then its Trago Mills, I go to the one in Merthyr Tydfil.

Yes thats the ones, thank you I'll have a look and see what they are posted as Wales is a bit far from Stevo lol, hopefully I'll get a delivery tomorrow of the Premiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Yes thats the ones, thank you I'll have a look and see what they are posted as Wales is a bit far from Stevo lol, hopefully I'll get a delivery tomorrow of the Premiers.
    Sure there are tragos over UK, I'll be calling over next weekend to see what's about over there,