Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make sure your 'new' gun is indeed new ?

How to make sure your 'new' gun is indeed new ?

I bought an FAC airgun last week that had a fault.I took it back as soon as l noticed,which was 4 days later.After the usual they all do that speech,and we'll have to send it back to the manufacturer,l explained my consumer rights and got a refund.I took a gamble that a variation would be quicker than a repair,plus the shop was a 2 hour drive.Anyway l noticed today that said gun is back up for sale, advertised as new and full price.Obviously the same one as the serial number matches.So the question is how when you are buying a new gun do you know it is indeed new ? and also the latest version.l would be mad as you know what if l found out my brand new gun was actually second hand.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    I'd say sealed in box still wearing its factory wraps and the like, if its been on the floor it's technically ex-demo as it'll have been handled, poked and prodded.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

That's naughty of the dealer, it obviously hasn't had time to go back to the maker for a rework. So unless the repair was done 'in house', it's got the same fault you noticed.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I only found it by complete fluke,the action slightly moves in the stock.If you put pressure on the cheekpiece then it 'rocks'.A new stock would probably have sorted it or padding.I didn't want a Blue Peter fix.They did say they all do it but l've never known any action that moves in a stock, especially a gun costing nearly 2k but l could be wrong.Regardless of any repair the gun has been registered to me and l even filled in the warranty online so it's not new.Should be advertised as ex-demo at least.

In terms of the repair, it may depend if they’ve had training from the manufacturer and have done an authorised repair. Otherwise I’d be miffed if I bought it as new and subsequently found that out. When I had an issue a while back with an Air Arms (out of box failure), Broadway Gunroom shipped it straight back to them to sort.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    I only found it by complete fluke,the action slightly moves in the stock.If you put pressure on the cheekpiece then it 'rocks'.A new stock would probably have sorted it or padding.I didn't want a Blue Peter fix.They did say they all do it but l've never known any action that moves in a stock but l could be Regardless of any repair the gun has been registered to me and l even filled in the warranty online so it's not new.Should be advertised as ex-demo at least.
    Loose bolts?

Both bolts were torqued to the correct amount,by me and then by the shop.It was a polymer type stock so any 'high' spots couldn't be sanded out.If a quick sand could've cured it then I would've kept it.Two stock bolts about 4 inches apart shouldn't allow the action to rock,and to be told they all do it,that's what wound me up the most.

Both bolts were torqued to the correct amount,by me and then by the shop.It was a polymer type stock so any 'high' spots couldn't be sanded out.If a quick sand could've cured it then I would've kept it.Two stock bolts about 4 inches apart shouldn't allow the action to rock,and to be told they all do it,that's what wound me up the most.
    If they were torqued to spec and no washers etc were missing then there’s nothing you could do, so your return was certainly not unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    I'd say sealed in box still wearing its factory wraps and the like, if its been on the floor it's technically ex-demo as it'll have been handled, poked and prodded.
    This is exactly what I will do in the future.If any gun is not in a sealed box then l won't be buying it.

Only problem is with that, imagine you like the look of a demo gun…then decide you don’t like the grain of the wood on a still sealed in the box gun. Should you be contracted to buy it regardless? What about the gun shop that has guns piling up that ‘customers’ want removed from a sealed box then they decide not to buy? Also gun shops have to do things like verify serial numbers for their records and condition (in case of transit damage) which will require any box to be opened.

So unfortunately it’s not so simple.

Then there's gun shops selling guns that have been registered on someones FAC as new.When someone says "who would actually check something like that, no one's that anal"it sort of gets your back up a bit.Then another assistant says" they all do it",would you trust them to sort it properly?It's only a short window to get a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    Only problem is with that, imagine you like the look of a demo gun…then decide you don’t like the grain of the wood on a still sealed in the box gun. Should you be contracted to buy it regardless? What about the gun shop that has guns piling up that ‘customers’ want removed from a sealed box then they decide not to buy? Also gun shops have to do things like verify serial numbers for their records and condition (in case of transit damage) which will require any box to be opened.

So unfortunately it’s not so simple.
    I understand your pont and up until this morning it wouldn't have bothered me,but I've just seen a "new" gun being advertised at full price and l owned it for 4 days.I have just checked the serial number from the advert and the warranty l registered match.I wouldn't name the shop or anything but it'll certainly make me a bit more cautious in future.
    Last edited by bigtone; 21-05-2024 at 03:19 PM.

Then there's gun shops selling guns that have been registered on someones FAC as new.When someone says "who would actually check something like that, no one's that anal"it sort of gets your back up a bit.Then another assistant says" they all do it",would you trust them to sort it properly?It's only a short window to get a refund.
    In that case an item should clearly be treated as second hand, and if a shop tried to pass it off as new then I would imagine it would fall under the Misrepresentation Act 1967, and possibly others.

What a bunch of cowboys !

What make of gun was it if you don't mind ?

Rick Astley for Prime Minister !

thats a bit cheeky of the dealer