Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HW45 accuracy

HW45 accuracy

Hello guys.

I have a HW 45 with the two power levels. I have been zeroing it today as since I bought it two years ago the accuracy been not great. Use it very occasionally. I have adjusted the sights at the lower power level (half cock), and it shoots fine now. But when I do a full cock for a full power, the gun shoots waaay too high because of the kick. Assuming that if I will adjust the sights at the high power, the gun will shoot too low when using lower power (Half cock).

Any suggestions from the users?

Thank you.

George

Don't mess around with the power settings. Could be that you're anticipating the 'kick' at full power and your body muscles change which will change the point of aim. Try shooting with both eyes open, and relax.

Yes the recoil changes dramatically between half and full power, simple physics, as half-power is accomplished by half spring compression and full power is full spring compression. Decide what power you are using and set the sights accordingly. I only use mine for paper punching at 6 yards so only use half power, but even so the recoil is pretty fierce.
    The HW45 is not an easy gun to shoot accurately. Some people use a light hold as with a rifle, I find that difficult with a pistol, so use a firmer hold, but then it is important to make that hold consistent and not so hard that your hands shake! Either way, unless you stick the gun in a vice and bolt it to a bench twice the energy will result in twice the recoil (unless Sir Isaac Newton was wrong) and hence a different sight setting.
    Eric

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It’s overpowered and jumps around too much unless you’re some kind of springer yoda and practice for 16 hours a week.

Fit a tinbum kit and cut the spring down so you have a bit more push than low power but not so much that it throws the pellets all over the place ..

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    As said as above as soon as I learned to hold the pistol in exactly the same way for every shot I was useless with a '45. Easiest of all my pistols to shoot is definitely the Scorpion. The '45 is not far behind now and much lighter - 1170g vs 1570g.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

I find the 45 to be very accurate, but it takes time to gel with it and find out how it wants handling. For me, a relaxed hold seems to work better. I love 'em.

HOWEVER......RE THE POINT OF IMPACT OBSERVATIONS......The higher power setting gives a lower point of impact than the lower power setting with the HW45, due to the direction of travel of the piston, in my experience, the extra piston travel / recoil causing the muzzle to "dip" more.
    Last edited by TonyL; 26-05-2024 at 07:58 AM. Reason: "Hold" and not "hood"!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

I'll second that, POI on mine is higher on the low power setting

Cut the spring down slightly, and while you are doing surgery like that fit a guide kit, TBT or other..... the drop in power takes away very little, but reduces recoil and inherently increases accuracy

They also have a tendency to diesel, so a decent seal and lube is also recommended
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Basically the Webley Tempest is a better plinker, while the BSA Scorpion is a better full-power pistol.

A rare case of 1970s British air guns being better than a ‘modern’ German one.

Also you could buy both for the price of the 45 even accounting for inflation, and have change.
    Up the Brummies!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Basically the Webley Tempest is a better plinker, while the BSA Scorpion is a better full-power pistol.

Also you could buy both for the price of the 45 even accounting for inflation, and have change.
    Up the Brummies!
    I find the Hurricane much better than the Tempest due to the grip and the sights, but still as you say if you can find a S/H Hurricane it is much cheaper than a HW45.
    I really wanted a Scorpion pistol when I was young, could never afford one.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I find the 45 to be very accurate, but it takes time to gel with it and find out how it wants handling. For me, a relaxed hood seems to work better. I love 'em.

HOWEVER......RE THE POINT OF IMPACT OBSERVATIONS......The higher power setting gives a lower point of impact than the lower power setting with the HW45, due to the direction of travel of the piston, in my experience, the extra piston travel / recoil causing the muzzle to "dip" more.
    As you know Tone as we've discussed this several times at the bash, I use mine zero'ed on one power setting only.

The 45 is indeed an incredibly acurate pistol once mastered but takes some perserverance. To get the best out of them, the first step is to find a pellet that they like and shoot rested to obtain a grouping. I've found my two in .22 like Hobbies but my .177 far prefers Diablo express. The light hold is essential as strangulation will produce no good results whatsoever. Adjust the trigger to a light (but not too light) position so as not to pull the gun off point trying to fire it. Then practice.

These are my go to pistols for targets and plinking alike and i can consistantly hit an extra strong mint at 15 metres. And drinks cans easily out to 40 metres.

One final thing is to get a decent amount of pellets through the barrel before ripping apart and wasting time tuning. Mine are all standard and shoot well now that theyve settled!!!

100% agreed, Mike.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Up the Brummies!
    Obviously a tongue in cheek post there, Al.

The Tempest is / was indeed a fine little plinker. I have one and it's a keeper. Love its very compact nature and old school feel and simplicity.

Had a Scorpion many years ago. A big, big brute and handful of a powerful pistol. Fine trigger too.

But nothing comes close to the HW45. Amazing build quality. Sublime feel. Superb trigger. Fine accuracy once mastered. Something to admire and cherish. But they aren't cheap.

Does the TBT spring need cutting down or is that the standard spring ?

Got a Tbt kit to fit on my hardly used second hand .22 HW 45.

Rick Astley for Prime Minister !

Not sure, Paul. Like Mike's mine are both standard. Have a word with Monsieur Le Bum.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee

>>Basically the Webley Tempest is a better plinker, while the BSA Scorpion is a better full-power pistol.

Up the Brummies! <<

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Obviously a tongue in cheek post there, Al.
    ...err, no.

I think it is 'dead accurate'.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2