Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barn find

Barn find

Hi guys. I have been allowed to take a barn find recently which is well and truly rusty, like seized.
    Its a very old hw77. Is this a total dead end cause or is it worth giving it a go? I suppose challenge 1 will be get the action out of the stock. Next question... What to release every seized joint? Diesel? Wd40? Coco cola bath is there any definite way to look at a project and say "no, it's too far gone"

Thanks in advance

Dan

May be worth having a look for a thread by T20 called “it’s a bit rusty”

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Depends on how comfortable you feel and how it looks when fully cleaned and taken apart (as some things can look better or worse than they are), if you're able post up pics and some of the experiance guys can probably guide you.
    Wouldn't use Coke, Diesel or WD-40 will probably be fine but remember to properly clean and re-lubricate any parts that move before reassembly.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.

WD40 to soak into anything that doesn't come undone easily, new piston seal, breech seal, maybe new mainspring, wire wool and WD40 or any light oil to rub away rust

Won't be pretty, and just cross fingers that the trigger mech isn't seized - that can still be stripped and rebuilt, but will make it a longer job

Start a before and after thread with pictures!
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

How big is your wallet ?

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    How big is your wallet ?
    ....or how long can you wait?

Throw the action into a bath of paraffin or diesel and leave it for a few months. Then strip it.

Jerry

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    ....or how long can you wait?

Throw the action into a bath of paraffin or diesel and leave it for a few months. Then strip it.

agreed. Do this, and if it strips and look usable, then great. But don't waste any money on it other than service items; just take it for what it is.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I would leave the WD40 on the shelf., get the stock off & soak in a diesel bath for at least 24/48 hours then every 24 hours or when you fancy shouting at it just have a go at everything. If something moves but not fully out then work it a little & continue to soak. Little toffee hammer taps over time gives better results than a sledge hammer. If & when parlance runs out use an angle grinder & rescue what you can for spares.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    You can use a car battery charger and washing soda to make a derusting bath. It works well.

This chap does some challenging firearm restorations/resurrections:-
    https://www.youtube.com/@Backyard.Ballistics

You might get some useful tips and tricks.

TTFN
    N.
    "The only difference between Men and Boys is the price they pay for their Toys."

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by LewesNick View Post
    This chap does some challenging firearm restorations/resurrections:-
    https://www.youtube.com/@Backyard.Ballistics

You might get some useful tips and tricks.

Positively love his stuff and second that suggestion, the Cat mess Beretta absolutely broke my heart as they are my favourite Pistol.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid
    Currently looking for an SMK/BAM B4-4 Rear sight or help modifying current one.

The attached images are from the very first article that I had published in Airgunner magazine in 2008, an Airsporter that was a real barn find. It was worth renovating it just for the pleasure of not throwing it away:-

Have a go at it, at the worst it will give you a few hours of enjoyment.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Cheers guys. I literally found it in a barn. Whilst ratting last night. I'll get some pics up once I collect it.

The big decider will be if the chamber and / or barrel bore is rusted beyond salvage.

Sounds like a good project though, esp as parts are readily available.

Rick Astley for Prime Minister !

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Waddy View Post
    The big decider will be if the chamber and / or barrel bore is rusted beyond salvage.

Sounds like a good project though, esp as parts are readily available.

Yeah, so long as the barrel bore is OK, the rest can be sorted. Even if you need a new comp tube, just get a 26mm one off the bay pretty cheap..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.